Sniper question

In a recent pbem game I had two snipers sneaking into this village. They stumbled across some "inf" on the top floor of a building about 50 and 65 meters away (50m from one, 65m from the other). Orders were given for both to fire upon the enemy unit.

During the turn resolution, neither unit fired... Ok, repeat orders next turn..

Same results, no one shoots.

Lets get closer, orders to advance upon the building were given. As soon as sniper #2 starts to move out, the enemy "inf" becomes a panzerschreck which opens fire at about 60m. Luckily no damage and the shreck must have stunned himself cause he only shot once in that minute.

Question, is there a minimum range a sniper will open fire? Why wont they shoot the zook at such a close range? Do snipers have grenades? Do I rush the building and duke it out? Two man schreck team VS two snipers in a closed cage match!

Just curious.....

------------------

Are you gonna pull them pistols? Or whistle Dixie? --- Josey Wales

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

I do believe there was a previous post on this subject a search will turn it up.

But I do believe the general agreement was that a Sharpshooter would hesitate to open fire when an enemy was within 100m of the sniper. That way the Sharpshooter wouldn't divulge his location by firing then getting killed the next instant.

------------------

"The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum."

Jager is correct. Min range is 100m. Max range is 600m (or could be 400m, don't remember). Sharpshooters have no other weapons that I know of, not even grenades. They're easily killed once found. Even easier if found inside 100m. Rushing them works well provided he doesn't have any friends nearby. However, they're not easily found.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

I take it the snipers in CM aren't like the Uber Snipers in CC2 where you rush them into an Allied building and take out an entire 50 cal team within seconds...

I'm really wondering if they're worth the money since their ammo is severly limited also. It seems they are only good for shooting tank commanders and nothing else.

------------------

Youth is wasted on the young.

Col, a sharpshooter makes a WONDERFUL, cheapass scout. It does abuse, somewhat, CM's "instant-info" command structure. In reality the sharpshooters would probably be totally incommunicado (unless they had radios, but I don't believe so) and any spotting they did probably wouldn't make it higher up the ladder.

DjB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

I'm really wondering if they're worth the money since their ammo is severly limited also. It seems they are only good for shooting tank commanders and nothing else.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have used them with *awesome* effect. An elite sharpshooter can absolutely wreck havoc on an approachin enemy. Waxing TC's, mortars, FO's. You name it. I always use a couple in defensive scenerios. They rarely let me down.

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

Sharpshooters aren't meant to wipe out entire squads, instead they are meant to panic the men and kill leaders (HQ units).

You can devastate HQ units as well as kill enemy TC's. I have noticed however when employed versus infantry you can easily break up and enemy attack headed at you. Your sharpshooter will panic an enemy squad rather quickly and hence they either break and run or they hug the ground the whole way slowing down the offensive.

In a recent QB for example I was able to shock three allied tank crews and pin several squads of infantry that were heading my way. Now the clencher was I had two mortar units that were under command from an HQ that was directing fire down on the infantry that was hugging the ground, devastating to say the least. All with 2 crack sharpshooters...

Plus they make excellent scouts as posted above. smile.gif

------------------

"The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum."