ARGGHHHH, I've had enough! No more "command request" threads!

For all those (new) people who are constantly requesting new commands. Please read the FREAKIN' manual! You will then realize that everything that you all are asking for is ALREADY *in* the game, but just in a different form or method.

Please read the manual. It really helps with this game. It's written in easy to understand English and has editor notes to explain a certain questionable feature as to why it is the way it is.

Even those of us who have been around since the Beta Demo eagerly read the manual when CM first shipped in late June, '00. Yes we already knew the system and logic behind the design, but we wanted to get the "low-down" on everything since the Demos. I even recall the Forum discussions leading to some of the Editor's Notes.

So please people, before you go shouting that we need a command to make our units pick their noses or some other stupid thing, please read the manual. It explains everything you want to know. And then if it don't come on here and ask good questions--not ones that can be answered by reading the manual.

Thank you.

------------------

"Live by the sword, live a good LOOONG life!"--Minsc, BGII

"Boo points, I punch."--Minsc, BGII

"Buttkicking for goodness!"--Minsc, BGII

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot.

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 01-24-2001).]

As an author of one of those threads might I add 2 things.

1) Besides the Manual also read the Readme's for all the patches, since things have changed a lot since v1.0

2) If you can find a menu command that does what I want, let me know smile.gif

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

I think we need a command somewhere between move and halt. Something like "Slow Children at Play." Can we get that in 1.12?

no, I think it'd be better if BTS made a command to customize your own commands. This way anybody can make any command they want. BTS would spend half of their resources developing it, ensuring that CM2 wont be released until 2005 rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by Pak40 (edited 01-24-2001).]

Originally posted by Pak40:

no, I think it'd be better if BTS made a command to customize your own commands. This way anybody can make any command they want. BTS would spend half of their resources developing it, ensuring that CM2 wont be released until 2005 rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by Pak40 (edited 01-24-2001).]

I know this is sarcasm, but in reality if the AI was based on scripting rather then compiled code then this would be an easy feature to implement. The extra time taken in making an interpretive engine in the game would be saved by the ease of adding new features later on through scripts rather than coding (usually you can teach a script kiddie to do that stuff while the programmers go a develop more tools).

just a thought smile.gif (p.s. BTS already said this wouldnt happen for CM, they just have too limited of programming resources (1 guy))

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki

All the fun and games aside, I think people are trying to make CMBO into CM2. How many games do you know of that were absolutely perfect when they came out? Ever heard of a sequel?

Sequels don't just give extra game play, they allow the developers to go back to the drawing board for awhile and asses what needs to be adjusted. I really wish that BTS would disregard all posts about what's wrong with CMBO, disappear for a few months, and reappear riding a T-34 and announcing the arrival of CM2!!!! tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Guy w/gun (edited 01-24-2001).]

Guest Space Thing

Maybe there should be a command that numbs us with drugs when we see a post about a subject the we already know the answer to even though there are new people who don't know the answer. We would then find it easy to give them the answer.

OR maybe there should be a command that gives us a vacation in similar situations.

smile.gif

But seriously Maximus (I liked your movie BTW), why do you even care what other people want to suggest or ask about? You don't have to read every thread. I wonder what the questions were like (back in the Middle Ages) when you were new to CM.

People are REALLY excited about CM when it is new. They come here and see an environment where constructive input is welcome and they want to participate. Isn't participation the whole point to this discussion board?

Avert thine eyes pilgrim -and you'll be a happier pilgrim. smile.gif

Originally posted by Guy w/gun:

All the fun and games aside, I think people are trying to make CMBO into CM2. How many games do you know of that were absolutely perfect when they came out? Ever heard of a sequel?

Sequels don't just give extra game play, they allow the developers to go back to the drawing board for awhile and asses what needs to be adjusted. I really wish that BTS would disregard all posts about what's wrong with CMBO, disappear for a few months, and reappear riding a T-34 and announcing the arrival of CM2!!!! tongue.gif

Well said, Guy. Except for the part about "asses" wink.giftongue.gif. Reread your post, rather hysterical typo in there. biggrin.gif

Well said, Guy. Except for the part about "asses" . Reread your post, rather hysterical typo in there.

Well fiddlesticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The damn spell checker see's asses as the correct spelling! Next time i'll just say "check out what's wrong"!

My bad spelling+dumb technology= a good laugh smile.gif!

Originally posted by Space Thing:

But seriously Maximus (I liked your movie BTW), why do you even care what other people want to suggest or ask about? You don't have to read every thread. I wonder what the questions were like (back in the Middle Ages) when you were new to CM.

Well thank you, but I didn't make the movie, nor was I in it, but I did take the character name from it. smile.gif

Well when I was new to CM, CM was in its Beta Demo stages, therefore I was around when we (including BTS) thoroughly discussed the Command options and we accepted BTS's final command list and their functions. Granted the function of some commands have changed slightly through patches, namely the Hunt command for Tanks and the Sneak command for Infantry. The reasons for not implementing the latest requested commands have been answered before by BTS. So in this case, I'll say for the very first time, "DO A SEARCH!"

Perhaps the solution is an all-inclusive set of designer's notes and FAQ posted at Battlefront.com - BTS doesn't have time but perhaps a grognard here would like to put his money where his mouth is.

Maximus, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem, buddy!

I'd be willing help out in any way I can - I've posted my share of dumb questions here (ie on screen captures) when I would have been more comfortable looking it up.

Do it like Windows help - have a index and table of contents. Searching the forum by keywords is time consuming (I have cable hookup and a Pentium 500 and it still takes forever) and hit or miss depending on the keywords.

EDIT - didn't mean to sound obnoxious, Maximus, to you in particular - not really, anyway. I don't mind the questions, I just worry that BTS will have their patience tested once too many times and put the lights out here for good.

But I am serious about a site that will answer all the questions - technical (how do I do screen captures? What is a mod?) to game play.

It's something we could all collaborate on. If anyone is serious about it, I could collate answers to FAQs and put them up on a freeserver site somewhere. Let me know.

[This message has been edited by Michael Dorosh (edited 01-24-2001).]

Guest aka PanzerLeader

You've had enough Maximus? Take a rest from the board! This little rant of yours won't be of any use in three months, or three days for that matter!

[This message has been edited by aka PanzerLeader (edited 01-24-2001).]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Perhaps the solution is an all-inclusive set of designer's notes and FAQ posted at Battlefront.com - BTS doesn't have time but perhaps a grognard here would like to put his money where his mouth is.

There already IS a FAQ, but many new players seem to ignore it. It's not posted on the main page, unfortunately (several threads have been started that link to it...). Perhaps BTS COULD post a link to it on the left frame of the website (replace their old FAQ in the bullets with one or more of the fan-created FAQs).

[This message has been edited by Mannheim Tanker (edited 01-24-2001).]

I mean a much better one, searchable by keywords, and with a table of contents laid out, into broad categories - ie Technical Questions, Rule Rationale, etc., then into sub sections - Movement Commands, Doing Screen Captures, etc.

The only two FAQs I've seen are the one on this site (which is for the messageboard only), then the one you find when you go to battlefront.com, and click on Combat Mission - it is the one on the left frame. It addresses some interesting topics but obviously not enough to satisfy those who (understandably) keep posting the same questions here.

Is there another one I don't know about?

I don't see the point in turning off interested newcomers by posting rude stuff like "go search and leave us alone." Surely they are the ones we are all counting on to go beyond downloading the free demo.