Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

What is that vehicle?

Does the tactical AI tend to overestimate, underestimate, or on average, get it just about right when making its guess on a first sighting of a vehicle? For example, I was playing the Germans and my Puma spotted a vehicle which for the 3-4 minutes of contact was labeled "M-5?" but at the end of the game I found out that it was a M-20 (I think...basically it had a machinegun rather than something potentially more damaging to my Puma) so I was more tentative in my "stalking" of the vehicle.

This was only my 4th game since I received the software so I was wondering what more "battle-hardened" vets have observed regarding tacAI vehicle identification.

Guest Big Time Software

Hi there,

It really depends on the Experience of the unit doing the spotting, as well as other factors. The better the unit, the closer the enemy, the clearer the weather, the more open the terrain, etc... the greater the chance that the vehicle will be correctly identified.

In general, units try and make a "guess" based on the most likely case vehicle. So, for example, your unit will guess "M5 Stuart?" intead of "M8 HMC?" or "SPW 251?" instead of "SPW 251/9?".

US units have a tendency to mis report tanks as Tigers. Again, this is based on Experience more than anything. US soldiers did this quite often, most likely due to inexperience and the fact that a PzIV can look like a Tiger in certain conditions (especially to the untrained and scared eye smile.gif).

Steve

FWIW, I think most (if not all) mis-IDs are "overs". PzKfw IVs reported as Tigers, SdKfz 7/1s as Wirblewinds, M20s as M8s. I can't recall ever seeing a case of anything being misidentified as a lesser vehicle.

------------------

"It's a boy!" - My wife's OB/GYN

Nov. 8th, 4:45am

Guest Big Time Software

There can be a "lesser" misidentification. I have seen it myself, and I also know it is coded that way smile.gif The easy ones to see are playing as the Germans. You get "M4 Sherman?" all the time, but it can be anything from the run of the mill 75mm Ronson all the way up to a Jumbo or Firefly. Anybody that has gone up against the full range of Shermans knows there is a HUGE difference between many of the models.

I also have seen things like Pumas and Lynx being initially thought of as HTs.

Steve

I once had the AI identify an Allied Halftrack mortar carrier as an M5, as it raced across the far horizon of the map board. Unknown to me at the time, I subsequently eliminated the mortar carrier and spent the rest of the game on a search and destroy mission to find the missing M5. Only ofcourse, to end the game learning there was never any M5 in the first place. I see it as counter-intelligence misinformation, and a bit of a nice ploy on the part of the AI.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

The US AI sometimes underestimates German tanks. Take it from me, this is usually a much worse thing to have happen to you smile.gif.

I had an unknown type of German tank behind a spur that had already bloodily demonstrated that nothing could advance around the end of the spur. Finally, after much hard frontal fighting, I drove the enemy grunts from the crest of the spur. My surviving grunts up there got a clear view of the German tank and reported it as a PzIVH. So naturally I ordered all my tanks to go kill it, some by going over the spur, some around the end. I figured I might lose 1 Sherman but could then press on to regain lost time.

But it turned out to be a Panther... mad.gif Had to make a serious revision to my over-all plan for the scenario after that turn....

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

Underestimates are the worst.

One time I had a tank identified as a probable Chaffee.

It then turned out to be a Pershing. Boy was I pissed. biggrin.gif

BTS, how about a possibility of court martialing your men in CM2?

[This message has been edited by Jarmo (edited 01-09-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bullethead:

The US AI sometimes underestimates German tanks. Take it from me, this is usually a much worse thing to have happen to you smile.gif.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie. Here's a pic of a Firefly bouncing an AP shell off the front of a "Panzer IV" at 357m! eek.gif Any guesses as to what this beast really is (there's a hint in the pic which narrows the choices)? Warning: the pic is 315KB in size.

Panzer IV? I think not.

Yes, I lost this PBEM. tongue.gif

- Chris

[This message has been edited by Wolfe (edited 01-09-2001).]