Guest Mikey D

Amazing. You've demonstrated that I have been MUCH MUCH too conservative in my approach to mods. I have the urge to copy my entire game folder and get started on the wildest alternate version that I can think of!

...How about "CM: L.A. 2001!"

A war movie on the back lot of Paramount Pictures gets out of hand. Orange groves, oil rigs, freeways, Taco stands, billboards ...redo the heavy builds to resemble glass office towers. I might be able to redo the M20 AC to look like a suburban Jeep Grand Cherokee

I think you've started something.

I love the way you made the Italian vehicles. biggrin.gif Too bad they're tougher than the real thing. How do you plan on compensating for the stug's much more powerful gun and armor? Editing them in the scenario editor to have HE only will help a little bit. Do you have any other scenario "rules" in mind?

Cheers

Eric

------------------

Pair-O-Dice

"Once a Diceman, Always a Diceman."

most impressive. looks sweet.

you even letterbox formatted the showcase of converted tiles. classy!

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Plus when I get the mod done there should be around 28+ scenarios to fight. I have 12 done now (all conversion of ASL battles I found on the net) with that more than that left to go. You will have battles in Libya, Tunisia, Egypt, Lebanon, Morocco, Crete, and even Italy.

The Italians are via Audace, he and three friends worked up the wav files. I have some battles with Italians and Germans on the same side against British or American troops. There is even one battle with Free French against Italians.

MikeT

WOW! What a great job on the mods. I will have to finally download and use some mods. I have been liiking forward to battling in the desert since BTS stated their intent to for CM 3. Cruising the sands in my M3 Honey reenacting the exploits of Robert Crisp from his book Sands of Fire. Looking forward to the downloads. Thank god for broadband!

MarkEzra, I am very concerned about the quantity of files that will be needed. However I am going to make two versions one broken into small (1meg or so) zips and the other the whole hog into one massive monster.

Right now I am planning on two ways of using this. One is that you create a whole new directory called DFDR (Desert Fox Desert Rats) in which you load the entire game. The other uses the mod manager to pick which files you want to dress up a battle. In both cases the manager will be useful/essential since literally there are times depending on which scenario you play the types of files loaded can change. For instance I you want Italains you much dup the Italian wav files over the German files. If it is a combined Italian/German op there is another file that actually combines the two. Not a pretty solution but the best I can dream up.

You can email me at home at seacat@flash.net for further questions.

MikeT

What I was gonna do is to do a whole new install into a different dirrectory and upgrade to latest patch. Then install the mods, and scenarios along with any current Italian scenarios out there already. "Swatting at Tigers" is one that comes to mind. I'd like seeing that in the Desert Rats conversion.

Maximus, Swatting Tigers is on my list. If you have any favorite ASL scenarios send them to me at seacat@flash.net and I will include. Great idea here, I will email Col Klotz at ASL Maps 4 CM a list of the scenarios I want to do. That should help a bit. Any battles that are not on the list people can submit them and I will try to include them either on release or shortly thereafter. I want to do another scenario zip.

I also want to do what I call Nationality Packs. Each pack would cover one nation and have the necessary bmps and wavs, plus scenarios. I got a volunteer that is working up Norwegian so Norway 1940 is possible. I would like Finnish and Russian, maybe even some Spanish for their Civil war battles.

If anyone has Critical Hits WWI ASL game contact me. CH won't return my phone calls or emails. Been trying for two weeks to contact them with no luck

therontmoore, I wish I could do as good a job as Steve and BTS but I am under no illusions here. I cannot change anything except how it looks and sounds. The models and performance of CMBO are frozen and I know the reason why. But I am adapting as best as I can. For instance, the H39 is essentially becoming the standard bearer for AFVs of its age. It is being used as the Italian M13/40 and believe it the MKIII. Not a perfect choice but I am stuck. Another example is there are no ATRs (anti-tank rifles), however while I am banning or say suggesting a ban on Panzerfausts the PIAT and PanzerSchreck is an acceptable substitute for the ATRs.

My changes and for that matter the changes the Clubfoot and Audace have created are really cosmetic and that is all. What I have done is to look at the game in a different and ask what is adaptable here. I already have a working paper to do the Pacific. More on that later. However I am in serious need for uniforms for the various nations involved. I also will need speech files for Japan, Russia (Manchurai 1939 battles), and Chinese (should have this fixed though). So if anyone out there is interested I can supply color scans of what is needed.

MikeT

Thanks for your compliments!

Even though I must say that most of the work on the tanks was made by Marco Bergman; he made the tank look way more realistic, and added several other features!

There are still some problems with the Italian North African uniforms, and if somebody has some pictures of both sides of it, please send them to me at: r.iacobini@libero.it

Here there are 2 pictures of the Breda 30 LMG and the Breda 37 HMG.

9384998.jpg

k737625.jpg

Mantaray, thanks from Audace, Clubfoot, and myself. I have been very concerned how this mod would be received by the CM community but the response has recently been great. IF and I mean IF this mod goes great and people enjoy I have other plans when this is done.

Right now we are wrapped up in scenarios plus some final plans. So I am making a public request for anyone that is interested in working up uniform mods plus some languages. Col Klotz has posted this request on his ASL 4 CM website.

MikeT

heh... Anyone play Panzer Pranks? I played it at Pacificon one year. It was a little folio wargame that had the slug line on the front "WWII the way Hollywood told us it was!" or something like that. There was a counter for a wine bottle and a scenario for a battle in a town over the last bottle of some rare wine... barfight maps (with Tanks, of course). It was fun for an hour.

Originally posted by Mikey D:

...How about "CM: L.A. 2001!"

A war movie on the back lot of Paramount Pictures gets out of hand. Orange groves, oil rigs, freeways, Taco stands, billboards ...redo the heavy builds to resemble glass office towers. I might be able to redo the M20 AC to look like a suburban Jeep Grand Cherokee