Team Rumble: Update and call for reinforcements

Well, the first ever CMBO Team Rumble kicked off this evening with elements of the 11th Armored Division attempting to reinforce the "Scottish Corridor", while a scratch Kampfgruppe of SP guns and elements of 12th SS Panzer try to prevent the Brits from gaining control of a vital crossroads.

However, due to real life constraints, we've had several drop-outs and are looking for reinforcements. If you're interested, please respond on this topic.

Thanks,

Gordon

Originally posted by Seahawk-vfa201:

I could if I knew what the Team Rumble is.

A team rumble is a refereed game where each player is in control of only a single tank. Each CMBO "turn" each player receives the movie reflecting the previous turn and after watching it can communitcate with his platoon (via e-mail) to discuss strategy, the platoon/troop leader can talk with the other platoon/troop leaders and the side's CO to discuss strategy (but a non-platoon leader can't talk on the "command circuit").

Each player then sends in a series of orders for the coming turn (e.g. "Hunt forward 100m, stop, rotate 45 degrees clockwise and area target the clump of trees 150m straight-ahead). The referee (me) takes everybody's orders, plots them, generates the movies and the whole cycle starts over again.

We're trying to keep a schedule of 2 turns per week. What's the deal you say? Why give this a try? Because it's all about team work. It's a lot harder than you think to coordinate the movements of 10 tanks when each tank commander has (literally) a mind of his own. Then, factor in the fact that you've got to communicate your intentions to both your driver (me) and your gunner (also me) and you get a much closer approximation of the trials and tribulations of combat than when all your units go where you want them and do what you want them to do.

Anyway, that's the story in a relatively large nutshell. smile.gif

Gordon

Sounds fun.

I have experience of team PBEM games. We did an experiment like that where a player was controlling a group of units: what we set up was 3 infantry groups and 1 vehicle/armor group.

Each player was giving orders on the CM file and "save" the game instead of hitting GO. The file was then sent to the second team player in line who was then ploting his orders, save and send the file to the 3rd.. and so on. The last player of the Team (always the same one, in our case the one controlling the armor was then plotting his vehicles moves and this time hit GO. This was finally producing the PBEM to send the other team.

We had great fun of it but the otehr team was made of some new to CM players. They got beaten up a bit and pulled out.

Your idea of One single tank seems nice though although I'd like to re-create the team PBEM experience.

Anyway, GIVE ME MY TANK!!!! smile.gif

I'll have a go, email me: kaos_war_monk@hotmail.com

Also really like Seahawk's method...That is something I've wanted to try, team multiplayer, each player is a platoon commander just like you said. Even better if each player had a company, good/interesting for a large engagements.

Also you could have higher level player commanders who indicate their orders for the company players below them by selecting the Co HQ unit (ie your character in the game) and set up a general order that indicates basically what's required for this turn, move over here, shoot here etc. This could include some brief written instructions relating to the order in the email for the file. The company commander gets the file sees the CO wants him to move his company into those woods and then he plots the moves and fire orders for the units he commands. Image it'd make for a slow game though biggrin.gif

Anyway, let me know, thanks

Fen

Glad to see new volunteers for iron coffins... I guess the Brits have lost their hearts, since I don't hear about any troubles (=dropouts) from our Kampfgruppen. Right Gordon?

Or are they just drinking their GREEN tea?

Salut!

Porajkl

Originally posted by Seahawk-vfa201:

Sounds fun.

I have experience of team PBEM games. We did an experiment like that where a player was controlling a group of units: what we set up was 3 infantry groups and 1 vehicle/armor group.

Each player was giving orders on the CM file and "save" the game instead of hitting GO. The file was then sent to the second team player in line who was then ploting his orders, save and send the file to the 3rd.. and so on. The last player of the Team (always the same one, in our case the one controlling the armor was then plotting his vehicles moves and this time hit GO. This was finally producing the PBEM to send the other team.

We had great fun of it but the otehr team was made of some new to CM players. They got beaten up a bit and pulled out.

Your idea of One single tank seems nice though although I'd like to re-create the team PBEM experience.

Anyway, GIVE ME MY TANK!!!! smile.gif

That does sound like an interesting way to do it as well, but I agree with Fenris in that it sounds like it has the potential to be a little slower than this method. I might be interested in trying it out after this, though.

Gordon

Originally posted by Fenris:

I'll have a go, email me: kaos_war_monk@hotmail.com

Also really like Seahawk's method...That is something I've wanted to try, team multiplayer, each player is a platoon commander just like you said. Even better if each player had a company, good/interesting for a large engagements.

Also you could have higher level player commanders who indicate their orders for the company players below them by selecting the Co HQ unit (ie your character in the game) and set up a general order that indicates basically what's required for this turn, move over here, shoot here etc. This could include some brief written instructions relating to the order in the email for the file. The company commander gets the file sees the CO wants him to move his company into those woods and then he plots the moves and fire orders for the units he commands. Image it'd make for a slow game though biggrin.gif

Anyway, let me know, thanks

Fen

I like the "general orders" from a CO to his subordinate units. This method might be slower, but it occurred to me that it also has the advantage (and disadvantage) of not requiring a hard deadline for each turn, as the flow of saved games from player to player sets the pace of the game.

Gordon

Originally posted by stevetherat:

Hey Gordon

Am I still in? I haven't heard anything after my moral lifting and tactical speach-mail

Steve

Steve,

I hope you (and everybody) got the mailings last night/this morning. If not, please let me know ASAP.

Gordon

Ok, we have immediately open slots for 2 players, so based on the order of the posts, the winners are:

mPsi and Seahawk_vfa201

However, we have a lovely set of consolation prizes for our other contestants. smile.gif

Actually, I'd like to keep FriendlyFire, Zakalwe and Fenris available in case there are any more drop-outs (I hope not), but on the other hand, there's the possibility that I can work in reinforcements to one or both sides, so I hope you'll stick around. smile.gif

Gordon

Originally posted by stevetherat:

Gordon

How did it go down? The suggestion, I mean (without giving anything away to those Germanic Tribesman!). What was the response and what are we doing next? Placing units and plotting moves?

I won't know until I get home (about 5 or 6 hours away)

Steve

Steve,

What everyone should have received is their initial starting positions as requested, or as close as I could interpret from the sometimes vague statements. smile.gif

Now it's time to figure out your moves and to send 'em in. Then we'll see what happens. biggrin.gif

Gordon

I'll happily stake out my position at the head of the queue for the next drop out. C'mon someone, you know you've got more pressing Real-Life commitments than playing this silly little game. Gimme your tank, gimme your tank...

biggrin.gif

(PS I'd prefer to receive it with no more holes than it was issued with, thanks)