Did the British make Rommel look better than he was?

Guest Michael emrys

While agreeing with the general thrust of your post, Jason, I came across a couple points I think require clarification.

N.B., I am going to refer here to Unit Organizations of World War II, by David Myers, not because I regard him as the last word on the subject, but because he is what I have to hand and I have found him to be broadly accurate on the subjects he covers (there are many he fails to mention).

Originally posted by jasoncawley@ameritech.net:

But *all* U.S. "infantry" divisions were fully motorized...

I am interested to hear what you mean by "fully motorized". It's true that the American infantry division had a much higher compliment of motorized transport than did its German counterpart. But the infantry companies had little or no organic MT. They either marched from point to point or had trucks assigned to them temporarily from army- or theater-level transport companies.

...and with a single tank battalion and a single TD battalion attached...

This may have happened in special circumstances, but I believe the more common practice was that an infantry division got either a tank or a TD battalion, but not both. (BTW, this is one place where I part company with Myers who lists both at the same time. smile.gif)

Michael

Tiger, dont mind about CavScout's insults. Hes one of those people that cant be wrong.

Yeah I know. I'll admit that my initial take was incorrect, however I stand by my opinion that Soviet and German tank policy and armament were ahead of the US and Britain in WW2.

Cavscout likes to do more than just correct people, he needs to be a jerk while he's at it, especially when he perceives some possible slight to the US. rolleyes.gif Apparently anyone who disagrees with him is some kind of uber-nazi worshipper.

Actually, Cavscout's argument here started in another post some time ago:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/009850.html

*Tiger*

Sometimes I wonder who is really the "troll"... the person giving an opinion that is not popular or the ones who attack that person for it. -Cavscout

BTS doesn't need a bunch of "yes men" on their boards, they need true opinions. You may, as I do, disagree with the poster but that is no reason to attack. This shouldn't be a "you agree with me or you're against me" forum. -Cavscout

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 02-02-2001).]