Normandy mod: First Impressions

So I just downloaded this beast. Pretty nice. I like almost all of the new textures. Very nice look and feel. Maybe too much like a French painting though. Magua should change his name to Picasso.

Question-Are the scattered tree bases supposed to look more like orchards then before.

Boy this was a tough one for me. I had my bmp folder just how I wanted it, but I really liked the screenshots and have been looking forward to this for quite some time.

I amde a copy of my BMP folder, then copied all the zips (3-6) into my original bmp folder. It was quite amazing. I loved the trees and tree-bases especially. The brush looked a little too flourescent. The grass was nice and velvety.

The houses (and especially the great water and bridges) were also quite good. A few of them had that "shimmery" quality to them, but the vine-covered walls were beautiful.

For some reason the scattered trees looked very light on the trees, even with max coverage on, there was only about one tree per tile, I wonder if it is always like that? It did seem to stand out, though.

In the end, and I am a hack for doing it, I went through each zip-file and just extracted the particular bmps I wanted. This included *most* of the buildings, the bridges, rubble, and water. The wheat, the trees, the skies (awesome!) and I hope to come back and do the tree bases but I am not sure if they are compatible.

That there is the problem. I really like Puds roads (muddy and paved) and I am not sure how much of them are compatible with Maguas mod. I also like some other stuff I have, so when I first tried the complete install, I was missing some of my favorite things. I am still undecided if I should do the whole thing. I want his grass and tree-bases, but I wish there was an easier way to "componentize" the mods instead of one lump sum.

I feel bad for being such a hack about it, 'cause it really is a great addition, but there are some things (like the scattered trees, the shimmery buildings, and the inability to distinguish height with the grass) that make this a tough pill to swallow. Anyway, that is my first impression, but the jury is definitely still out.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maastrictian:

Picasso lived most of his life in Paris.

:rolleyes:

;)

--Chris<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AFAIK he never took French nationality. :rolleyes:;)

[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: Fernando ]

There is an anecdote about Picasso during the war (I don't know if this one is true). He was questioned by a gestapo officer in Paris. At a time the question was 'did you paint Guernica ?'. And Picasso answered 'No, it's you...'

Okay, I went ahead and put in the non-subdued grass and trees (I used the non-subdued since it had a greater elevation change visibility) and it is great! The only thing I'm not using (so far as I can tell) are the roads, marsh, brush, and a couple of the buildings (gotta love Kumps buildings).

The only thing I havbe noticed are two things:

1.) The scattered trees in spring (March45 to be exact) lok VERY lime-green bright and kinda wierd.

2.)There is a kind of splatter pattern of darker pixels in the grass to break it up and give it a good teture, but at elevation 3 or higher, the pattern becomes VERY obvious. My suggestion would be to vary the scatter pattern for different elevations (instead of JUST lightening or darkening them) to help break up the pattern

Does that make sense?

Anyway, those are just two small suggestions for a BEAUTIFUL work of MOD-ART, and it sets a new standard for the terrain. Thanks Magua, you're the best!