What's ICQ, and how do I get it?

I have an iMac, several of my Rumblings foes have PCs, and we're having major PBEM technical problems because they can't read my files, even though I'm not compressing them. I can neither create nor read zip files, but I can create and read StuffIt files One has AOL, the other's in Australia on an entirely different service. Oddly, I've played dozens of PBEMs with Kingfish, and he has AOL.

At least one has suggested ICQ and has given me a number, a number I regrettably confess is both useless and meaningless to me. I gather that this ICQ has something to do with TCP/IP play, but beyond that I'm clueless. Would someone please explain ICQ so that I can move from generating reams of E-mail to actually fighting?

Many thanks!

John Kettler

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Kettler:

... I gather that this ICQ has something to do with TCP/IP play, but beyond that I'm clueless. Would someone please explain ICQ so that I can move from generating reams of E-mail to actually fighting?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not exactly. ICQ (I-Seek-You. Geddit smile.gif ) is a rather nifty, trial/free instant messaging software thing-a-mi-jig. It also allows emailing and - probably most importanly in your current circumstances - file transfers, along with several other useful bits and pieces.

The number you were given is that persons unique ID (their 'name' if you like) on ICQ. When or if you sign up for it you too will get one.

You can obtain the appropriate software from ICQ

[ 09-19-2001: Message edited by: JonS because I can't sort out the damn url :(]

[ 09-19-2001: Message edited by: JonS ]

ICQ is a handy little tool for giving hackers access to your computer...

Seriously, I use it, but only under certain circumstances:

a) I have pre-arranged a "chat" with someone on that day/evening.

B) I need an answer quickly, so I'll try ICQ instead of telephoning (I do alot of work between 10:00pm and 2:00am).

At any other time, the program is neither loaded nor running.

Thanks for all the info, troops! So, ICQ isn't the same as TCP/IP, but is instead a kind of adjunct program. Jarmo, I tried the Mac ZipIt or something similar and couldn't get it to run properly, nor did I get any help from the company that made it. If you could send it to me with proper installation instructions, I'll give it another go. That should solve the file problem and let me fight all my PC equipped foes.

Many thanks!

John Kettler