COMBAT MISSION 2: Sys Reqs.?!

Guest SS_Obergruppenführer

Does anyone have the slightest clue, what will be the minimum system requirement for CM2; can we hope it will remain somewhere in the 233 region?

Thanx!

------------------

SLOVENIA- a prospering country for the European Union

Guest MantaRay

I hope it doesnt stay in the 233 range. Climb aboard the technology express. I personally hope it is beyond the 600 range, as more can be put into it.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

The Red Army Mirror

From what Steve has said it sounds like a 233 or 300 will be the new minimum, so you're right on the edge. You may just have to stick to small maps. It will also require a 16 MB video card.

Release date is in the Oct-Dec of this year time frame.

------------------

You've never heard music until you've heard the bleating of a gut-shot cesspooler. -Mark IV

Originally posted by SS_Obergruppenführer:

so a PII 266 with voodoo 3 2000 should cover it?

Probably, yes, but like I said you may have to stay away from big maps. It's also too early to say for sure as there has been no official announcement.

------------------

You've never heard music until you've heard the bleating of a gut-shot cesspooler. -Mark IV

FWIW, K6-2 500 did not cut it for CM.

I can tell BTS is not using 3DNow! libraries for math. My new 1GHz Thunderbird just rips in comparison, no doubt due to some 250% increase in raw FPU power.

It took 2-3 minutes for AI + modeling to finish for a big scenario like "all or nothing".

Originally posted by Barleyman:

FWIW, K6-2 500 did not cut it for CM.

I can tell BTS is not using 3DNow! libraries for math. My new 1GHz Thunderbird just rips in comparison, no doubt due to some 250% increase in raw FPU power.

It took 2-3 minutes for AI + modeling to finish for a big scenario like "all or nothing".

WOW! I am currently playing that one on a PII 333 w/128MB RAM and a Voodo 4.5 card plus tons of mods. My turns are under a minute. Odd.

[This message has been edited by CavScout (edited 02-15-2001).]

Originally posted by SS_Obergruppenführer:

so a PII 266 with voodoo 3 2000 should cover it?

IMHO, a Voodoo 3-"anything" doesn't cover much anymore. Because you're looking at at most a 16MB card. That just ain't too good as of late.

Also anything under a PII 400 needs upgrading. With the low prices of upgrades these days, you can get a 1 GHz processor and motherboard for $300 USD or less.

Originally posted by CavScout:

WOW! I am currently playing that one on a PII 333 w/128MB RAM and a Voodo 4.5 card plus tons of mods. My turns are under a minute. Odd.

[This message has been edited by CavScout (edited 02-15-2001).]

I run CM on a Athlon500, 128 Mb RAM / 32 Mb video, with everything HiRes (except perhaps the hamsters smile.gif . Processing times are good enough, but screen is jerky when hell erupts (lots of inf fire plus arty barrage or tank duels) on medium maps and above.

I expect CM2 to have min specs in the 300 range, my machine will still be somewhat overloaded on big scens, but else should everyone buy a $1500+ 1GHz machine for a new $50 game ? Unfair...

Guest Mikey D

If the system requirements go TOO high for CM2 deal me out, as well as everbody else I know who owns the game.

I can't think of anybody in my circle who is looking pay out the $$$ to upgrade their current... perfectly acceptible... 1 or 2 year old computers for the next generation.

If requirements get too high for CM2 maybe another cottage industry will arise making 3rd party LoRes replacement art!

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

I run CM on a Athlon500, 128 Mb RAM / 32 Mb video, with everything HiRes (except perhaps the hamsters smile.gif . Processing times are good enough, but screen is jerky when hell erupts (lots of inf fire plus arty barrage or tank duels) on medium maps and above.

Yeah, on my PII (333) I have little problems except when on big maps with all the new grass and tree mods. Usually, bumbing down to 800x600 seems to take care of it.

I expect CM2 to have min specs in the 300 range, my machine will still be somewhat overloaded on big scens, but else should everyone buy a $1500+ 1GHz machine for a new $50 game ? Unfair...

I could see CM2 maybe going to a 500mHz, maybe but nothing more. It would be silly to exepct people to buy a computer or upgrade just to play, even more so considering the smaller market BTS has aimed for.

I'm sure that if the game is released anytime in the next year and a half, then minimum reqs will be in the low 300s at most. While screaming fast processors loaded with RAM are cheap these days, the fact of the matter is that hardware has outdistanced software, and (with the exception of video) the software does not take advantage of all of that extra processing. The lower end models still run things extremely well. I cannot imagine anyone with a Pentium III processer, 128MB of RAM and a 16MB vid card being able to run CM2 with only marginal performance. And with RAM as cheap as it is right now (insanely cheap if you haven't noticed), a quality stick of RAM will get you enough bang to increase your performance without having to upgrade your processor and/or mobo.

well, i'm getting a new comp. anywayz soon smile.gif)))

------------------

SLOVENIA- a prospering country for the European Union

Hell, I'd be willing to bet that by the time CM2 is released, a 64mb video card will cost less than $100 US.

I'm certainly not a hardware fascist (I'm running CM on a crappy laptop at the moment), but if your computer is towards the low end of the spectrum at the moment, I don't think it's unfair to assume that you're going to have to upgrade for CM2 (as I will).

I DON'T think that CM2 should be accessible ONLY to those with high-end gaming rigs (which I will not have), but since BTS has ruled that out, I'm not too worried. I wouldn't be surprised if the minimum requirements were somewhere in the P2 300 range with a 16mb video card.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

Croda wrote:

the fact of the matter is that hardware has outdistanced software, and (with the exception of video) the software does not take advantage of all of that extra processing.

There are definitely lots of games out that need hardware way in excess of CM's requirements to run well. Sure, games don't need a 1.2 GHz proc and 64MB GeForce Ultra, but to fully enjoy many new(er) 3D games, it's best to have a proc at least above 500MHz, a 32MB vid card, and 128MB RAM minimum. The vid card alone won't do the trick--lots of RAM and a fast proc are needed too if your run these games at high res and detail settings.

BTW, anyone know when Athlon Tbirds (1 GHz and up) will be shipping widely again? All the places I usually order from have been out of stock for a couple weeks, and it's upgrade time.

------------------

New to Combat Mission?

Visit CM Boot Camp at Combat Missions for tips.

"90% of the crucial decisions in this business are made by idiots who don't even play games." Cliff Bleszinski

[This message has been edited by Gremlin (edited 02-15-2001).]

Originally posted by Gremlin:

There are definitely lots of games out that need hardware way in excess of CM's requirements to run well. Sure, games don't need a 1.2 GHz proc and 64MB GeForce Ultra, but to fully enjoy many new(er) 3D games, it's best to have a proc at least above 500MHz, a 32MB vid card, and 128MB RAM minimum. The vid card alone won't do the trick--lots of RAM and a fast proc are needed too if your run these games at high res and detail settings.

You're right. I should have stated that better. There aren't any games that require 800+ Mhz processers, but many games, especially video intensive ones, benefit greatly from the additional speed.

My point was that you won't need a higher end machine to make a game "barely playable." Lower end machines will be able to play the games fine, but naturally higher end systems will enjoy greater performance.

That said, I agree with your 500, 32, 128 assessment.

No idea on the Athlons.