Tank killing by infantary

Yeah, but it happens about as often as it does in real life. Which is to say, not very. Which makes sense, since if you have ever been near a moving tank, you will know exactly how conscious an infantryman would be of the treads waiting to grab him and turn him into muddy strawberry jam.

I'm not a veteran, but I've never seen enemy infantry climb on tanks. Engineers of both sides have stuff they can throw at tanks and sometimes destroy them. And you can probably kill at least tank destroyers, half tracks etc. by throwing a hand grenade.

Its abstracted. You maneuver any squad or HQ next to the AFV you intend to kill. Then watch 'High Noon' unfold. You will see the infantry throw handgrenades (or demo charges, if they have them) at the AFVs. the grenades are an abstraction for the close combat going on. This could be Finns shoving logs into tracks, or soldiers of other nations shooting the TC and throwing a grenade down the hatch, or holding a lighter to the petrol tank or whatever infantry does to kill tanks. More often than I would expect they succeed, but that is not difficult, since my expectations are pretty low. Open-topped AFVs die a lot faster. German AFVs sometimes use their Nahverteidigungswaffe too, to blow the infantry apart. Jolly good fun alround in those cases. Pioneers are not more capable, and even HQs can take out tanks.

The game doesn't model an infantry squad climbing aboard a tank to shock it. However a crack or elite sharpshooter is great for popping a tank commander at extreme (600m) ranges, thus shocking it for a while and leaving it permanently buttoned.

As you read above an infantry squad is far from helpless when close to a tank.

Speaking of which..

The fact that the AI never unbuttons his tank commanders once they have closed the hatch gives the human player another, quite considerable, advantage. I have no idea why this is the case but I assume it is a matter of technical difficulties, otherwise it is pretty unfair to the poor AI.

M.