Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Do you change "history"?

OK time for some honesty amoung players. I would like to know if when you're playing a game against AI, how many will used the save command during the game and return to that turn if the battle doesn't go the way you want. I've done it a few times. What I usually will do is play out the game and if it doesn't turn out the way I thought, I will start from a saved turned to see what happens when I change things. I guess the habit of saving alot during a game comes from playing Gran Turismo on my Playstation.

Just curious,

Eric

I do this alot, but I'm still a learning player. I do revert to a previously saved turn to 'change history' if I really do something stupid and I want to figure out how to correct it, but more often, I use a saved turn to see how lucky/unlucky I've been. I just reload the turn and have CM run it again with exactly the same orders. Of course, the computer doesn't always issue the same orders, but usually they're pretty similar. This way, I get a better idea of when I'm being smart, and when I'm just getting lucky. . .

I did it once...but I felt dirty afterwards. ;) I think Fieldmarshall has it right: it's boring. Part of the interest for me of a wargame is the unexpected and spontaneous nature of the play. Using hindsight, I can usually come up with a perfect plan alright, but by that time the game has lost its flavor.

Michael

I save every 30 seconds or so while plotting, but only for computer screwup fear.

I can say that those situations where I learned most from playing the AI were situations that were after some point in time that would quality for such a timewarp. It would have been a pity to miss them.

If you get into a difficult sitation against the AI, either for luck or your stupidity, the effort of getting out of it is very valuable, skill-wise. Even if unsuccessful, you will know what you'd better not try (or execute better) next time.

I would also fear that doing the timewarp thing against the AI will make it mentally more difficult to go through similar situations against a human player, where you can't go back. That may be what many of the sudden game dropout are made of and I really hope that all people in this thread are bejond such behaviour.

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: redwolf ]