Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Are the SS still over prized hamsters?

BTS stated that ALL infantry have the same moral for the various experience levels: reg, vet etc. Thus SS regs are the same as Brit rifle squad regs in reguards to their moral.

However everytime I fight against or with SS troops they are break VERY quickly after recieving light fire. 1 guy I played had an entire platton of Mot SS run off the back of the map after recieving light Artilley and rifle fire for 1 1/2 turns. I laughed at him till I picked a company of VET SS mot. They went to "taking cover" status constantly from rifle fire, paniced like conscripts under artillery, and generally sucked ass. I had 1 platoon of Paras who had to run around the map supporting them and get them out of trouble. Personally I'll never choose ANY SS units agian. I don't care whether I'm imagining it, its a bug, or BTS has put some other factor in. Doesn't matter to me. Personal experience has shown on MANY occassions they just arnt good troops... or at least, are VERY unlucky.

You're imagining it. I play with SS troops all the time, mostly because their Rifle 45s are a great value. They don't rout any more easily than any other units.

------------------

The Last Defense- Made any scenarios? Send them here!

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

Why are the Waffen-SS infantry more costly than the Heer counterparts? When you hit "enter" in a battle with an infantry unit you can see the handheld weapons listed and effective ranges and firepower for the types fielded. The Waffen-SS and Fallschirmjagers are very well outfitted formations (Hitler's favoritism) and the equipment shows. They may have 1-2 Kar98K rifles replaced with MG42's or the MP-44 assault rifle. Sit there and compare a rifle platoon from the Heer and Waffen-SS and you'll see. In CMBO the only way you're gonna set up "elite" formations is by setting it through the editor/parameters. Just because you pick Airborne/FJ/etc. formations doesn't mean they will always act "elite," you have to set it that way to represent those elite formations.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

Ummmm I really don't see your point.

The reason I bought SS units mostly was because they typically get an extra mp44 instead of a kar98 for the same price as thier waffen counterparts. On paper it makes full sense to always buy SS over waffen... extra firepower for little or no extra cost. However in practice I've found they take cover and break extremely quickly under light fire. I'm fuly willing to admit this is due to bad luck. Anyway I'm keeping away from these hamsters.. paras do the job a lot better smile.gif

Originally posted by KiwiJoe:

Ummmm I really don't see your point.

The reason I bought SS units mostly was because they typically get an extra mp44 instead of a kar98 for the same price as thier waffen counterparts. On paper it makes full sense to always buy SS over waffen... extra firepower for little or no extra cost. However in practice I've found they take cover and break extremely quickly under light fire. I'm fuly willing to admit this is due to bad luck. Anyway I'm keeping away from these hamsters.. paras do the job a lot better smile.gif

Just a slight correction: You mean Waffen-SS over Heer(army) right? Also, I've never noticed Waffen-SS infantry being more susceptible to bad morale checks and I play as Waffen-SS almost all the time with sprinklings of Heer units now and then.

I haven't played as the Fallschirmjagers as much but I've had good experiences with them too. You ever noticed the number of automatic weapons those guys have? I'm not talking of the MP-40's little 9mm rounds either.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

Originally posted by KiwiJoe:

Yeah # of MP44's + LMG's is the main thing I look for when purchasing german platoons.

Paras are pretty much the best with 3 mp44s and 2 lmgs.

the next best are the ss panzergrenadier (motorized infantry), with 1 more rifle and one less smg, but the same number of lmg and mp44.

the sound of the mp44 is my favorite of the cmbo small arms.

i can see those young vandals running around, "sprayin' and prayin.'"

andy

Whew, just played a QB against the AI defending a small town against an U.S. Assault(+75% bonus for attackers). Played as an all Veteran Kampfgruppe of FJ's which consisted of 1 rifle plt., 2HMG teams, 1 StuGIV, one 81mm spotter. What did I face? An attacking regular U.S. infantry company which seemd to be quite heavily reinforced. It didn't look like a battalion since it was too small numerically (judging by the carcasses laying around at the end). I somehow won with a Minor victory, but that was good considering the odds. The StuG didn't help, got taken out by a well placed 'zook round in 2nd round... quite nice. I suffered 25 casualties(6 KIA) and inflicted 226 casualties(51 KIA) and 3 POWs. A good reason for my victory was the Hvy.MG42 teams which kept spitting out fire long after my inf.platoon ran out of ammo and the somewhat effective mortar barrage to breakup the first large assault. But the key to my victory was the sole FJ platoon I had. Had a very nice effective fire at 100-250m ranges thanks to the weapons they had: 3 rifles, 3 MP-44, 2 MP-40, and 2 LMGs. These guys packed serious heat and and firepower when holding the targeting cursor at 150-200m ranges frequently were about at 177. Very nice. Any troops foolish enough to assault were cut down. Each of my squads at least had inflicted 41 casualties while one achieved 67, unfortunately one squad was wiped out while courageously holding off a determined assault. Any German players out there playing nothing but SMG platoons should really take a look at the FJ infantry and try some real infantry. The FJ have got another fan on their hands.

------------------

That should be "over priced", rather than "over prized".

Their morale is no better or worse than any other unit of the same quality. I think the perception is, and it used to be mine, that Waffen SS would act like vets or better when they were just regular quality.

My original post on this back in July last year was born of frustration of having veteran SS troops break and panic for no apparent reason in a "foggy night" QB. They were about as effective as conscripts, even when under command.

I accepted the logic that they are equal to other units of the same quality for morale purposes, but have not used them since. :^)

OberGrupenStompinFuhrer