Yet another CM campaign attempt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iron Duke:

I hope to dear God we do not start emulating the CMMC in any way, form, or fashion!! (I was a GM in the CPX...man what a cluster-fu(k...nothing but red tape, wherefores, whatnot's, and bullsh*t)

I will concede that at this moment the FOW is VERY wide open, but it, IMO, does not detract from the overall experience...this thing is hella-fun, and that's the way I hope it remains.

I think by sending out the battles "tournament" saved and then perhaps limiting our AAR's (mine especially because I am the biggest culprit) we could close the FOW down some, but I'll leave that up to Jason and the A/G commanders. I just fight here. ;)

I truly hope, ScoutPL, that your tournament of which I am a part, does not give me the same experience as the CMMC did...that would be a damn shame.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have had a bad experience, my dear Duke, but more than 120 other players and GMs are now having a lot of fun. Try to not bash things only because wasn't at your taste or level.

I know first hand why you feels the way you feel.

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: argie ]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fully support the idea of not continuing the fights to the end. Suggested it myself earlier.

But it's not such a big issue really. Even if we know what the other guys had last time, it doesn't mean we know what they'll have for the next battle. Or where they have what they had. Especially motorized units can easily be shuffled around the map.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>You have had a bad experience, my dear Duke, but more than 120 other players and GMs are now having a lot of fun. Try to not bash things only because wasn't at your taste or level.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol...the same could be said of you argie boy, perhaps you are the only one "having a great time"...in any event, it changes nothing and I stand by my statement.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I know first hand why you feels the way you feel.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh? Please enlighten me, this should be good.

I am sure some of the kink's have been smoothed out of the CMMC and I am glad of that, tell me, how many battles have you been in personally with the CMMC argie? What side do you call home? Allies?

Why are you so bitter?

I'm not playing any side because I have too much intelligence on both to play any. Was decided that GMs were not able to play in CMMC, a thing which I support from the begining.

If people is not having fun, they leave. Is just a game after all. Anyway, there are permanently 100+ players playing.

Some of what you said sounds like having something between lines. I hope not.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

You can view the map after the fight and see all the units on the map. Only those that have been withdrawn remain a mystery.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, unless somebody goofed with the battle I just did, you can view the whole thing before the battle begins. The file I was sent to fight was wide open, able to view the opposing forces, map, reinforecements, you name it.

I believed that since it was open my opponent would be able to view it, and did so. I took a look since I did'nt want to be left out of the critical intel contained...

I doubt I would have charged the town thinking no one was home anyway, but knowing I was facing some Panthers was, umm... interesting news to say the least.

Well, obviously you were no more meant to look than the edit the opposing forces or change the map - LOL. I told players earlier they are on their honor not to "edit" the game files, to look at them or for any other reason. But they may start them up vs. the AI only, with full FOW on, for the set up phase only, then abort before hitting "go". This is only meant to facilitate set-up planning, so that too much TCP-IP game time is not wasted at the begining of a fight. Evidentally Dirt Weasel did not hear this, but he's certainly heard it now.

There is no way of locking a game file nor of preventing people from playing it through to conclusion vs. the AI or a third party, before their scheduled match. There is also precious little reason for anybody to do so, since it defeats the entire point of a double blind game and campaign. If you only want to win, turn FOW off and play both sides. Foolproof, and doesn't inconvenience anyone else, either. I would have thought this was sufficiently obvious, but apparently for one fellow in the bunch it wasn't (nobody else looked, out of the first 6 players).

No doubt Dirt Weasel understands it all well enough by now. We can just pretend some civie ran to his guys with news - just this once. He still managed to lose three reinforcing light armored vehicles to none - LOL - so I don't see any need to penalize his side further for the transgression.

:eek:

My bad...

I will consider myself chastized and go forth and sin no more...

Actually you can lock it up as a tournement save game I beleive. (never tied it, but I think that'd work) That way the temptation is gone to accidently open it in the editor.

Can you maybe send me the rules Jason? I must have missed them.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Triumvir:

But if it's tournament saved then you can't pre-examine the game for good setup locations and all, can you?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No you could not, but you could get the map without the units for a work around. Like any security feature, there are trade-offs...

I think the best way to do security would be to create the scenario, then load the game hotseat, set a password for the attacker, and save from setup. Then send the saved game file to the defender (only). He has to host the first turn. The attacker is sent only the password that was previously set.