What did I just watch?

Just caught the last 30 minutes of a Black and White movie on TCM that starred Steve McQueen. In the end, he is shot and runs up to grab a satchel charge the Germans had just chucked out of the pillbox. Steve jumps into the pillbox with the charge, and boom.

End of movie.

Wierdness was seeing Bob Newhart in the film.

Gosh, did not know about the IMBD.

Cool site.

Anyway, the movie is called "Hell is For Heroes".

Pretty good from what I saw.

Saw an interesting tactic not possible in CM, the detonation of a minefield with 60mm mortars.

The guy hosting the film at the end said the story came from what was then a just unclassified AAR.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wilhammer:

Saw an interesting tactic not possible in CM, the detonation of a minefield with 60mm mortars.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tactics in movies are not necessarily possible in real life, either....witness the Hawkins mines cum claymores in SPR....

IMDb is really a gem - by the way, was Bob Newhart talking on a field phone in this movie? ;)

I know its hollywood.

And likely not true.

Yeah, he sounded kind of funny on that field phone trying to full the German planted mike.

He was turning down fictional replacements by reminding the fake command that we were "still fightin' the Japs"

[This message has been edited by Wilhammer (edited 01-20-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wilhammer:

I know its hollywood.

And likely not true.

Yeah, he sounded kind of funny on that field phone trying to full the German planted mike.

He was turning down fictional replacements by reminding the fake command that we were "still fightin' the Japs"

[This message has been edited by Wilhammer (edited 01-20-2001).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We were still fighting the Japs.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

i think this is the quote, i read it out from Videohounds WAR MOVIES(not a bad movie review book btw),

"your gun is your life. it's like when you

were a civie, see, what you own determines who you are."

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show