This is so basic it probably was the first post to the forum..But..

What actually defines when a squad is in a building or behind a wall? I had a squad that seemed to be taking more casualties than its buddies. All were in buildings according to their location boxes. Viewed from level 5 all of the white markers appeared to be inside the walls. However one of the 3 figures in this particular squad was located outside of the building because the squad was in a corner and facing a certain direction. Again this squad seemed to take more casualties. Any thoughts about this?

Puzzled Toad.

If the unit info box says the unit is in the building, then it is. Keep in mind that the scale you use can affect whether a unit appears to be completely inside. However, a unit that is inside, but closer to the outside walls is more exposed because of windows and doors. If you place a unit in the center of a large building and drag the LOS tool around you will see that the unit has limited visibility, especially at the corners of the building, and may have no LOS outside the building at all. The converse is true for units outside the building firing at your unit inside the building.

I recalled BTS made a point of mentioning how being in a building was NOT a binary event (you either are or you aren't). I've often had infantry in a building being hit who I had crawl to the far wall to break the enemy unit's 'lock' on them, then crawl back.

the deeper you go inside of a building, the less "exposed" you are. sounds like it wouldnt make a big difference, but it saves some lives! you trade that for having greatly reduced LOS as you go deeper into the building. BTW, i love hiding my GER SMG squads in the middle where no one can see them until they enter the building, and all the aimies have time to hear is the action on the MP44/MP40! :D

Yes, even at realistic scale it can look like some of the men are outside the building. It is the unit info box that will tell you definitivly whether the unit is inside or outside. But even if the squad is inside it can still take heavy casualties from small arms fire because the unit is exposed through doors and windows.