Has Anybody Had Success Using The AVRE?

In my limited number of ladder games, I've only taken this tank once. To it's credit, I killed a 234 with it because my opponent didn't respect it's blast. Still, I think at 184 points the tank is overpriced. You only get 25 rounds, 1 mg, and the tank is damn slow.

My question is, has anybody used this tank to success in their games? Can it be used effectively against tanks or is it only useful against infantry? What kinds of vehicles can the blast of the AVRE take out on an area shot? And finally, would any self-respecting ladder player shell out 184 clams to use this unit in a ladder game?

Possible spoiler to follow,

-------------------------------------

but the Wild Bill scenario "To the Last Man" was a blast, and the AVRE's are featured heavily in an urban environment. I played it PBEM and had great fun, but I think they were more useful against infantry/pillboxes in a city than in the typical QB setup.

They were designed to tackle the Atlantic wall and other fixed fortifications, not as assault tanks in the middle of a fluid battle. For one thing, the petard mortar had to be loaded from outside the vehicle, making the loader vunerable to small arms fire. Using them to take out other tanks would be like using Sextons for recon duty.

And, giving credit where credit is due, Kingfish is the guy who clued me in on the To the Last Man scenario. Thanks.

Along the same lines, if you actually do run out of the 25 rounds of ammo, well, then, you've probably wrecked some havoc and had some fun doing it, and there probably wouldn't be much left to knock down anyway.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Spanish Bombs:

And, giving credit where credit is due, Kingfish is the guy who clued me in on the To the Last Man scenario. Thanks.<hr></blockquote>

Whenever you feel like knocking down some buildings just send me the British setup. I played an excellent game against John Kettler and would love to fire that one up again.