God I Love/Hate This Game

Ok,picture this.

I've just completed all my mission objectives with 7 turns left in the game (scenario does not matter). Now all I've got to do is wipe up a few remaining pockets of US resistance, and my elite SS troops can take a well deserved rest.

When lo and behold suddenly two of my panzers are suddenly destroyed by a Sherman HVSS that has magically appeared in a reverse slope location.

Now, this has become personal! Upset my total victory will ya?

So I decide " hah, I'm going to teach this Ami a lesson! Let's see, if I fast move a Panther to here and then go into hunt mode, while moving some infantry close as a diversion, I'll bag that sucker!"

I cover all possible escape routes by fire, painstakingly maneuver the Panther into position and bring my infantry close. Now, I'll move the infantry out of its hidden position, give the Sherman a close range target to worry about, then move the Panther to crest the hill and bingo, got em! biggrin.gif

The plan unfolds. The Sherman takes the bait, the Panther suddenly appears and targets the Sherman, the Sherman realizes it and turns to engage......now I watch the time counter....37......38........39......40!!!!

Bam!!!! Frontal penetration..........OF THE FRIGGIN PANTHER.

The emotions begin: eek.gifconfused.gifmad.gif

I curse out loud.

Now my 6 year old son, who has the CM spirit like me (in fact he likes to maneuver any scenario so the tanks explode..he likes the fires!!) says "Dad, what happend?"

I launch into analysis ad naseum with the tidbits obtained from this board.....crew quality....gun stabilization....track pressure.....how many entrenching tools a 1945 SS squad carried....phases of the moon......mating habits of California Grey Whales.....

Then he says it: "Dad, why didn't they just shoot?!""

Yes, should have thought of that.....just shoot.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lucero1148:

Well if you had moved your grey whales in a overwatch position they could have belly flopped themselves on that M4 and save your Panther the trouble of getting brewed. Tactics it's always tactics!

wink.gif.

Best

Patrick

Couldn't resist!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like it, I like it alot. Must try that manoevre myself someday. smile.gif

Regards

Jim R.

How far away was your Panther?

Did it have a LOS on the Sherman?

Was it facing directly at the front of the Sherman?

Where was the Panther hit? (lower hull, turret, etc...)

Was your tank on Hunt?

The Sherman has a much faster firing rate than a Panther. Possibly it did the smart thing and actually targetted the greater threat (the Panther)? There are probably many reasons why your Panther bought it. Probably the best thing to do was to manuver it behind the Sherman, so, it would have to rotate its entire hull/turret 180 degrees.

HA HA! Ok, laughing session over. I'm terribly sorry about your bad luck, but I just cheer for the Allies most of the time.

Actually, I had quite a bit of fun today when I ambushed and destroyed a column of 6 German tanks the AI had coming down a road with 2 zooks, 3 76mm AT guns, and 3 AT minefields. One of the best times I've had in the game.

Futility

I just gave Mr. Hankey a lesson in futility. My halftrack rolls into a little grove of trees and directly on top of a bazooka team. It starts shooting and reversing... too late. The bazooka takes its shot from eight meters away. There is an explosion. The halftrack is still rolling back; a quick check reveals that it is undamaged. I watch the movie with detailed hit labels on. "Gun hit, no damage."

The halftrack kills the bazooka before it gets another shot off. I giggle.