Dust?

I know this has been mentioned before, but not for a while, and the answer was "maybe in cm2". Well that was a year ago and CM2 is a lot closer now so... Will dust thrown up by vehicles be a factor in spotting?

I just watched The World at War about Stalingrad, there was some colour footage at the start of it that showed huge clouds of dust being thrown up on the dry roads. One scene was even a PzIII speeding along a small ridge to deliberately throw up dust to conceal infantry digging in.

The dust rivaled smoke from burning buildings in size and would certainly have been a major factor in some engagements.

Remember - dust brings shells

nick

During desert storm, this friend of mine spent a lot of time driving a hummvee around in the desert with a whole bunch of chain dragging behind it to pretend he was a column of vehcles.

Some of the other guys were doing it too, so you had 15 or 20 guys in Humvees pretending to be a couple companies of armor. The chain raises a huge dust cloud, apparently.

The rest of his unit was blowing up inflatable tanks.

nick said:

Remember - dust brings shells

Dust is also caused by shells. When you bombard an area with arty, you often have to shoot in "bursts". That is, shoot like 20 rounds FFE, wait a bit for the dust to settle, then see if you need to shoot some more.

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

This would be a very nice feature but AFAIK it would require the game engine to have a paritcle system which I doubt we will see until the engine rewrite. Same reasons as no dynamic lighting.

------------------

What a bunch of horsecrap. -Steve

Might not be too complicated. Just have a terrain tile that when a vehicle drives over it at greater than x speed when the weather is clear and dry, dust clouds appear behind it. The dust could be similar to smoke in terms of blocking LOS, and would disappear after a minute or two.

------------------

The Last Defense- Made any scenarios? Send them here!

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

Could use "smoke round" effects to emulate that but that is visual, implementing rules around it is another story.

Since Steve&Charles Co. is burying its head under a big pile of CM2 work, we shall see when CM2 sends them back here. Fingers crossed.

IIRC, in early N. African campagin, apart from "cardboard vechicles", Rommel ordered his AFVs to generate as much dust as possible (using chains? or just from exhasust?) to bluff their real strength.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Get the CMSOD at Combat Missing Command Post (CMCP) at http://www.angelfire.com/games3/CMCP/

Guest wwb_99

One thing---Transparencies (i.e. smoke effects) are amongst the most resource intensive 3d effects. While it would be very realistic, it will probably have to wait until GeForce 3s w/ 128mb of DDRAM are reasonably comman and 64mb cards are pretty standard.

On a side note, anyone ever wonder why the winter of 1944-5 was so cold? Some theorize that the dust thrown up by the preceeding five years of warfare had more than a little to do with it. It should also be noted that the winter of 1919-20 was especially harsh as well.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Check out the Dogs of War

wwb_99 - I suspect that dust from vehicles had less to do with bitterly cold winters than climatic effects (volcanoes etc) - simply because the dust wouldn't get high enough into the atmosphere.

When a volcano goes off the dust ends up high in the atmosphere and then causes a cooler spell. I have my doubts as to whether vehicles could contribute enough dust, at a high enough altitude, to make a difference.

It might be worth checking meteorological reports (if I had the time or inclination) biggrin.gif

------------------

"Woof!Woof!"

That's my other dog impression.