Madmatt's sound mod - an absolute must!!

IDF

Any newbies or people that havn't got Madmatt's sound mod should drop what they're doing and go get it from the CMHQ.

It is awesome!!! Fantastic and such a difference.

I highly recommend the sound mod!! But beware it takes a long time to download don't worry its worth it. The game is totally different and highly improved.

I agree to the fullest! It brings the game to an entirely new level. His other mod packs are impressive as well I might add.......

-Head

-------------------------

I don't need my junkie friends

All knockin' at my door

I just wanna do an old time waltz

With a buxom Irish whore

-Shane MacGowan

Where is it on his site? I looked under 3rd party mods/sounds, and all I see is Nightcrawler's and Volcano's mods? I take it those are not the one's your talking about.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

Thanks, I went and looked and found it. I think I've been using it, but now I have to go back and find out for sure. I know I added Nightcrawler's and Volcano's stuff, but think I added it over Matt's stuff. I've used them so long now that I'm spoiled.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

I think I pretty much replaced most every other sound in that pack with NCrawler's and somebody elses besides Matt's MG42 sound, for I found that one sounds better tahn anything other.

However, just using the "Hi-Action" sounds where it gives a little zip and ring to infantry casualties is what really makes that pack.

The pack is pretty cool, but I'm trying to tone down the explosions somewhat, since it gets near impossible to hear anything anywhere on the map during an arty barrage, even a 81mm one...

Any hints on how to do this with a Mac (dealing with resouce files instead of wavs)? Any good free/shareware out there to do it?

BTW I posted this in the technical support area since I did a search there and found nothing. Didn't think of checking in here until it was too late smile.gif

To extract sounds out of the game resource files try this app -

http://www.riccisoft.com/files/soundextractor-131.hqx

It's called sound extractor and works great. A little quirky now that I'm running OS 9.1

You have to click on the progress indicator for each file to be extracted. Click on it and you will see. It names them well. Then go get a copy of Sound Studio

http://www.versiontracker.com/redir.fcgi/kind=1&id=4122/sound_studio_1.5.4.sit.bin

Use the Normalize command to reduce the dynamic range of the sounds (the difference between quiet and lout) and then reduce the overall volume with the amplify command. It seems to work really well. All you need to do is use the Mac Mod tool to replace the sound you just removed.

1) extract sound

2) edit volume and dynamic range

3) put sound back into resource file

That should do it. Email me or post if you have problems or other Mac tech questions. Love to help.

-this message was written on a Mac! smile.gif-

Thanks karch!

The apps work great. I've reduced the explosion volumes to 80%, and normalizing the sounds seems to get rid of most of the distortion. Now if only I can turn the volume lower than the lowest setting on the iMac - I can handle the level, but sometimes my girlfriend can't wink.gif

I guess that's what headphones are for.

Derek