Log Weilding

Just a quickie.

Someone suggested Finns wielding logs were highly effective in combat. Are these tree logs or Christmas chocolate logs? Can't find a result searching past posts.

And IF they were to abandon their logs, does CMBB model them returning to their weapons?

Yeknod

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by eeyore:

Just a quickie.

Someone suggested Finns wielding logs were highly effective in combat. Are these tree logs or Christmas chocolate logs? Can't find a result searching past posts.

And IF they were to abandon their logs, does CMBB model them returning to their weapons?

Yeknod<hr></blockquote>

You make an excellent point. I had always assumed that the Finns were using tree logs, but now I'm not so sure. I think only an actual Finn could set the record straight on this matter with any authority.

And don't forget the famous Finnish war hero Seppo Saippuakauppias. At the age of three he fell over the rail at the Helsinki zoo into the bear pit. While his mother screamed for help, he killed two enraged bears and hung the baby bears in a tree. In the continuation war, as a well grown 17 yr old he was in the habit of ripping up trees by the roots and swinging them at tanks. He could knock out the optics, bend the MGs and main gun... Once he got a criticial hit on the turret of a T34 so it flew 60 meters and landed on a squad of Russian infantry. He then appeared a lot as a guest on talk shows in the 50s and 60s and died peacefully in his sleep.

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> He then appeared a lot as a guest on talk shows in the 50s and 60s and died peacefully in his sleep.

<hr></blockquote>

...At the age of 190. He lived to be that old because he travelled back in time (Via his magical sauna) to defeat the Soviet invaders another 4 times.

Gyrene

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gyrene:

...At the age of 190. He lived to be that old because he travelled back in time (Via his magical sauna) to defeat the Soviet invaders another 4 times.

<hr></blockquote>

Now THAT sounds a little bit unbelievable.

Are you trying to pass off a tall tale on me?

Yes, I remember him ... yeah, he used to rip up the biggest tree in the forest because he could get a very good effect at the tip of the tree if it was taller / longer. He found that certain types of trees were better than others since their trunks were a little more flexible (getting that whipping action at the tip) Larger trees also allowed him to engage tanks at much longer ranges. That was the only limitation to his attacks - the effective range was directly proportional to the size of the tree he ripped up.

Earlier attempts using saplings were not very effective because Soviet machine gunners could keep the tree wielding Finns at bay. :eek:

You know, I think that Soviet soldier who took out a German tank with an Axe was a veteran of the Winter War. I think the Soviet Axe troops were formed as a specific counter for the log wielding Finns - it was only later that these troops found that they could use their Axes on German tanks in a fashion similar to the Finnish use of trees.

As the Finns used larger and larger trees in their attacks, Soviet MG fire was found to be ineffective. The only way to counter these tree attacks was through the formation of the Soviet Axe units. When deployed in company strength in support of Soviet armor it became difficult for the Finns to mount tree attacks effectively at any range. I believe this happened around the time the Finns accepted peace with Russia. Could be a coincedence, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Me gods, belting!

Perhaps this is how the notion of trolls developed, no? With Finns marching on their foes not only wielding logs but whole trees?

Now, I can't wait to get a copy of CMBB because not only can we burn woods with flamethrowers but hey... get those Finn log-wielding lumberjacks to clear 'em.... a sort of deforestation effect.

That is IF they wielded trees and not chocolate Christmas logs. I mean I'm open to all possibilities from the frozen dessert cabinet... lobbing raspberry pavlovas, massive hunks of Black Forrest Gateaux... boy, these are MEN

Any data on armour penetration? Rexford, help!

Yeknod