Foot and Mouth Crisis effects tanks.

Originally posted by Chupacabra:

It's also important to note, IMO, that many forms of cancer are more or less self-imposed as well. For example, most lung/mouth/respiratory tract cancers are caused by smoking. Most malignant melanomas are caused by people spending too much time out in the sun with not enough protection. Does that mean we shouldn't treat them?

That's an excellent point. To also address your point that we should treat everything regardless of cause - I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, in our imperfect world, the dollars are stretched thin. PeterNZ points out that much money is already spent on cancer research; I do realize that - money is also spent on asthma research, but since I personally suffer from it, it will always seem like not enough!

As for the question of should we not treat them - the answer is obvious, and of course we should. I am just glad that I do not have to make decisions on how much money or time goes to research one disease over another. Whatever you do, you will be seen as cold and brutal, and everyone (rightly so) has their views on what takes priority. (Most are smart enough not to post about it in open forum..... :D )I don't envy those who deal directly with problems like AIDs - and thank God every night that I haven't been put in a position of having to, directly, either.

To return to the topic, as it were, there are numerous documented cases of Mad Tank disease in CM. The most common symptom appears to be firing smoke instead of HE at infantry, but there are a wealth of other symptoms, such as ignoring other tanks and targeting infantry, rapidly switching between targets, and, in extreme cases, backing toward the enemy. MTD is almost always fatal.

Joining Andrew in returning to the topic. I have also witnessed symptoms of Mad Tank disease when an AFV is subjected to an artillery barrage. The symptom occurs when the vehicle detects incomming artillery, and immediately charges out into the middle of the barrage in the direction of the enemy lines. Displaying a total loss of the instinct of self preservation and cognitive reasoning, the subject acts wildly as if blinded to its surroundings. I have not witnessed any accompanying symptoms, such as foam or saliva emanating from its barrel, and all traction abilities seem to be perfectly normal. Thus, I surmise for the moment that the Mad Tank disease apparently centers upon the thought processes of the infected vehicle disrupting its ability to reason, possibly damaging the victims nervous system. I have not been able to detect thus far, whether or not the symptoms are contagious, or how they might be spread.

[ 04-13-2001: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

I just got back from France visiting Normandy and the Musee Des Blindes Tank Museum in Saumur.

In July Saumur holds a Carrousel where you can get to see a King Tiger, Panther and others crank up their engines and actually move around a large infield!

I plan to go next year myself.

So with the Tank Fest in Bovington cancelled Saumur is the place to go smile.gif

http://www.musee-des-blindes.asso.fr/blindes/som.htm

RW