The CM Engine and the Future

The first we-go I saw was in Johnny Reb II, in C-64.

Everything moved simultaneously, and combat was seemingly resolved simultaneously.

(2 units could kill each others with simultaneous shots)

And then it had:

1. Reinforcements, unlimited amount. Even every turn for 20 turns.

2. Experience of troops, from green to veterans.

3. Morale, the men would panic under fire and even rout.

4. Resupply, in the form of supply wagons.

5. Scenario editor, you could add buildings and change the amount of troops.

I loved it. smile.gif

I do have one thing to say:

Give me Arabs! Give me Israelis! Give me the Golan in October '73!

I wanna see 16 Centurions take on a Tank Brigade.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The first we-go I saw was in Johnny Reb II, in C-64.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

C'mon, guys. Y'all've forgotten your roots smile.gif. We-Go has been a staple of war boardgames since Christ was a corporal. Don't you all remember the movement "impulse" charts where if Unit X's speed was 5 hexes/turn, then it moved in impulses 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10? And how you had to write down all damage sustained during an impulse and then apply it after everybody had gotten their shot off that impulse?

People so easily forget that back in the days of cardboard, we had wargames with more features than PC games have had until, well, CM. Sure, the number of possible outcomes was limited by the number of sides on a die, but in all other respects boardgames had PC games beat for detail. Boardgames were actually computer games using the chip between your ears. This chip, of course, is crippled by painfully slow I/O peripherals, so full-featured boardgames took hours to resolve even 1 turn, but only in the present time have PC games been able to combine the boardgame's feature set with a computer's turn resolution speed.

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bullethead:

C'mon, guys. Y'all've forgotten your roots smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not me, granpa! biggrin.gif

Never, ever played a boardgame. All my strategy's been on 'puter.

But coming from RPG-land, I still see your point. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deanco:

am I the only one who thinks that this AI weewees on all other game AI's from a great height?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's an elegant turn of phrase, and I agree wholeheartedly! CM wouldn't be half the game it is if every single order given were followed to the letter. I love the way it forces you treat those little sprites as real, flesh-and-blood units.

On the subject of modeling wars in other time periods, I imagine that a lot of other game designers are looking at BTS' pioneering efforts are and already planning to rip them ... er, incorporate some of the best elements of CM. I would predict a slew of imitators in the coming 12 to 18 months. A civil war game would seem almost a certainty.

------------------

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

-Bertrand Russell

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Half-life was never interesting to me but my Rainbow Six friends tell me that CounterStrike (based on the half-life engine) is excellent. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if it isn't Priest. You may not remember, but I played one of my first online R6 games with you at least 18 months ago. I think that was the day before you posted your retirement from the community.

Hope you're still around to read this. Get over to Plan B sometime; http://fleshwounded.dhs.org/ if for some reason you didn't know.