flreflies -- how to overcome

The Firefly tanks seem to get the better of my panzers & AA weapons from long range, and to get up close i end up exposing my tanks to enemy infantry; any good strategies to overcome this problem?

BTW i've been playing CC for a week now, its 100% great. I even went to the store & got my $$ back for the latest version of CloseCombat w/ the excuse that it didn't work w/ w2k smile.gif CC is in a league of its own

-- Jay

Protect your panzers with a screen of anti tank guns. Anything respectable would make short work of the Firefly.

Try and attack a Firefly with a German tank destroyer... normally your tank destroyer will get away the first shot, which is good odds (especially if the Firefly misses its shot in retaliation).

Target the firefly with on board or off board mortars, or use artillery.

Guest Mike the bike

I've found the opposite problem - how do you kep Firefly's alive?? lol

their armour isn't great - anythign decent will kill them, and it seems the AI targets every German gun within 1000 yds on them straight away!

perhaps you should do the same - shoot everything at them until they die, then pick off the rest.

yes i meant to say i've been playing CM for a week, not CC which i returned to the store! <g>

I've read about the hull down position but i recall that the only way to get into that position is to be behind a wall(?) Or maybe there's some way to use the geography of the land to find a hulldown position? Also, does CM tell me if my tank has found a hulldown position or do i have to go for a closeup of the tank and look at its profile?

Thanks to all.

BTW what is CM2 going to be about?

Ash,

The easiest way is actually to get down to camera level 1, and scope out the ground for good ditches, bumps, etc. It's easy with the German TD's to get behind a small rise, and then use the hunt command to move up the rise. The AI will automatically stop the TD in a hulldown position as soon as enough of the vehicle clears the hill for the gun to fire. It works well, especially with the Hetzer and Jpz IV's.

I agree keeping Firefly alive is a bigger problem. Yep they have a big gun which can deal with almost all German panzers, faster turret but most of the time they are the first pirority target. The Firefly armor is nothing greater than other Sherman. I have many killed by "cheap" Panzer IVs at ranges over 800m. Worse, their HE round count is low and they are really suspectable to German organic troops.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Fireflys are not a problem. You usually find them in a field around dusk. The Uber-weapon against them is a pair of hands (75mm or greater) and a glass jar (at least 130mm thick, sloped at 30%). Try this and the Fireflies will not be a worry again. smile.gif

------------------

"Act after having made assessments. The one who first knows the measures of far and near wins - this the rule of armed struggle." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Artillery is good... or so it seems.

The rule of thumb is, don't drive a tack with a sledge hammer.

Fireflies are all gun, no armor... so why endanger a heavy armored (read: expensive) piece of machinery to take it out? I mean... ANY anti-tank weapon will do.

Try and recon the field early, and if you see FFs, hit them with arty if they are stationary, or move light armored low calibre AT gun platforms in to hit it from two sides at one.

#1 Thing to remember... fireflies are pointy on one end and soft on the other. If you get on two sides, one attack will always be be on the soft vulnerable side.

Joe

The "hunt" command is your best bet for attaining a hulldown position. Unfortunately, the game only supplies information about your target, but if your gun has to pivot down or your bow machine gun is obstructed (unable to fire), then you are most likely in a hulldown postion. John

Yesterday i tried to get my tank into the hulldown position but then it got stuck -- imobile smile.gif ! Perhaps because i had the hunt command stop on the slope of a hill which i thought would be perfect for hulldown? Or maybe this is just a consequence sometimes of trying to find a HD position.

I also noticed that sometimes hidden machinegunners openfire on tanks when they're buttoned up -- futile! And i had ordered them to hide, but for some reason they felt the need to start firing. Needless to say they were killed. Wonder why they were stupid enough to disobey my command, especially when its obvious they're not going to bring down a Sherman w/ a mg?

I also noticed that sometimes men don't appear to exactly be in a foxhole but the display at bottom says they're in the hole. I assume the game treats it as if they're in the foxhole even though on-screen the men appear to be next to the foxhole.

Thanx to all, ooo-rah

I dunno, a few games back, I watched one of my Panzershrecks knock one out with a single 120 meter shot to the upper hull. Seemed easy enough. smile.gif

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)