FlakFront! - feedback without spoilers

This is my opinion of the CD scenario, "FlakFront!". The opinion is based on a two player non-blind PBEM. By "non-blind" I mean that both players had knowledge of enemy setup zones and force makeup; but had never played the scenario. It was simply looked over briefly in the editor by both players. No spoilers below.

This scenario is deeply flawed for two-player non-blind play. It should probably be played blind. Even then, a fairly aggressive Allied player who knows how CM games are scored, will win easily.

More flag points need to be placed on the German side of the map to entice the Allies forward once they have gained what is now the majority of the VL points. Without these additional flags, the scenario soon becomes a German attack with totally inadequate forces.

German reinforcements should come in much sooner.

I have revised this scenario for two-player battles. It plays much better IMO. Email me if you would like this revised version.

No worries, though I have looked at the file and spotted the flag issue. The 2 front ones should be small flags.

As for reinforcement timing, it is more to keep it fair against the AI. One cannot really do pure multiplayer scenarios for the CD. If I could, I would have done a few things different.

WWB

Originally posted by WWB:

...One cannot really do pure multiplayer scenarios for the CD. If I could, I would have done a few things different.

WWB

Amen. I am hoping the scenario designers would consider offering an "after market" version of the scenarios on the disc that would be intended for 2-player only.

I can understand that scenarios on the CD have to be able to be played vs the AI (from a marketing point of view), but please don't forsake us PBEM addicts.

Keep up the Good Work.

Sincerely,

Ken

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

WWB, would you release an updated version of FlakFront! for 2P play? Changing the flags, and whatever else you deem necessary?

Steve

Gotta check with the boys @ BFC, but I think such a thing should be possible.

Treeburst: I did not say all the CD scenarios are designed for solo play. Best thing to do is read the briefings for reccomendations. As sergio points out, there are a few that only work h2h.

Regarding this specific scenario, I should also point out that it is about the toughest design challenge I have had in recent memory. I pretty much did 3 ground-up redesigns in the process. Hopefully it will all work out with a little tweakage.

WWB

[ January 12, 2004, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: WWB ]