use of CMBO engine for other games would be great

I love this game a lot. I think it would be neat if this games realistic and awesome combat engine could be applied to other war gaming eras. Particularly fictional ones in the future. When i first thought of it,, it seemd a bit too cheesy to adapt a sci-fi game for this engine. But i think it could be done well if adapted well from a board war game which already has a detailed system that focuses on realism in place. This of course refering to the game physics and mechanics of how the units/weapons work.

And i already have a suggestion of an awesome sci-fi wargame that could be adaped: none other than FASA's Battletech. Yes that gaming universe has already had many games made after it. But anyone thats played the board games knows that none of the computer ones came close to the strategy thats involved in the paper and pen game. There are rules for literally everything. The Mechs, tanks, light vehicles, hover vehicles, boats, submarines, convential and high orbit fighters, multiple types of infantry, armored infantry, supply vehicles, convential artillery, artillery via orbital bombardment, etc,, and many more.

The best part is that the majority of Battletech games are focused on the ground based battlemechs. So the CMBO engine would work perfectly.

It would be particularly suitable since the maximum weapon range in Battletech is around 700m. I'm not sure how you could actually MODEL 'mechs in the game - they have alot moving parts and you'd need to include hand-to-hand combat, falling, jumping etc, but I like the idea.

I doubt it's going to happen any time soon, as

A) BTS has stated they've got more than enough on their plates for the future;

B) The legal status of all things FASA-related is pretty much up in the air at the moment;

C) Even if the legal bits could be worked out, I'd assume the license would be too expensive to make a game like that profitable for BTS if they continue selling via the internet.

BTS has said as much but my god would that not be cool. I am a Battletech Freak, not to mention the entire basis of the game is that of a futuristic WWII. All the mechs and weapons are made by the same company and many of the names are the same for the vehicles or at least named after WWII personas. Even the fictional states are loosely based on the nations of WWII. Aaaaaah!

Okay I am done.

Not sure if the CM engine would work well for Battletech. I can just see it now "WTF!??!! Waddya mean my AC/20 shell ricocheted off that Locust!! BTS please fix or do somefink" smile.gif Besides, does Rexford et al. have the penetration tables for a 200mm autocannon shell against 100mm of Clan ferro-fibrous armor. Thought not..... hehe