Cliffs

I need your help, I am designing an operation and I need cliffs, making a straight line was easy:

cmbb_cliff.gif

but I completely failed once I tried to make a bend cliff, I even tried to set some tiles to height 19 but CMAK still renderes some parts as slopes and Infantry can climb up :(

cmbb_try2.gif

The default height per height-level in my scenario is 5m by the way. Can anybody help me ?

You would need more than two tiles at 19 under those conditions. It would be better to have a number of tiles at 11 or 12 IMO. Its hard to say, because I'm not sure how large of ciff you want. If you really want steep ciffs, you could switch to 8m increase.

a few things

significant elevation changes in a single square get ignored. Put a plain of level 1 and then a level 20, and it will all be level 1. So putting in the 19's doesn't do anything.

a straight line of height differences doesn't make a nice cliff. The computer can nicely make rounds for 1 or 2 squares, but when you get to 3 it makes weird spikes sticking out. If you look close at a cliff of straight 9's it looks like it has a series of spikes sticking from it at regular intervals.

The solution to that is either throw in the occassional 8 and 10 or round the cliff face a bit.

Note that sticking out a projection of 1 square will not show up, due to the issue above. The map just doesn't like 1 square changes.

for your cliffs you might always end up with slopes that can be climbed, I'm not sure.

Originally posted by Panzerman:

Water from CMBB and CMAK does what you were talking about. In CMBO this was not the case, and some people had somewhat pointy water tiles.

Yep, water and marsh force everything to the same level. It fixed a slight problem in CMBO... and, as far as I'm concerened, created a bigger problem in CMBB/AK

• 1 year later...

RE: Berlichtingen's example with 0s and one 19

I have a CMAK map with 7s open ground and a couple of single 8s on a 5m map. In BO this is a spike. In AK it is a flat top rise.

Problem is when I save and exit, then go back in to editor, the 8s are gone.

In fact, single 8s in other places are gone too.

???