Which video card for CM2?

Wow. There's some pretty incredible news on the Voodoo front. Apparently the old 3dfx team just released new drivers today! I really didn't believe it at first but I guess it's true. Here's the link to the article, which in turn has links to the drivers:

MadOnion

Think I will keep my GeForce3, though! ;) I may pick up a cheap voodoo5 card now though to put in the puter my girlfriend uses... :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfe:

Turning things up to 1600x1200 doesn't even come close to the image quality you get with the V5 at 1024x768 w/ 4xFSAA (or even at 800x600x16x4). Believe me, I tried.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe this is just a case of the generally poor image quality of Voodoo cards in general. Voodoo cards generally had better frame rates than Nvidia based cards because they simply didn't support the features that Nvidia cards had. But with better image quality, FSAA wasn't really an issue. My old TNT2 didn't have FSAA and yet, from what I understand, had actual better image quality than a Voodoo 3 3500. Not to mention that it could handle textures larger than 256x256 pixels.

In comparison, I always compared Voodoo image quality to Nvidia image quality as like to the original 32-bit Playstation to the N64. Speaking of which, I can't believe that they still make games for the PSX. Geez, talk about an out-of-date system when the PS2 is a 128-bit system.

But just on a shopping note, when I was shopping for my first 3D card. The 16MB AGP Voodoo 3 3000 was the top in the Voodoo line and the 32MB AGP TNT2 was the top in the Nvidia line. The store clerks told me to avoid the Voodoo cards for their inherant problems with compatibility.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Danzig:

Wow. There's some pretty incredible news on the Voodoo front. Apparently the old 3dfx team just released new drivers today!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the heads-up! Tried 'em. They have some new settings, but they screw up the V5 Launcher so that it doesn't work anymore. And I'm not sure these things hold settings very well either. 2xFSAA doesn't seem to come up (no apparent FSAA at all) whether using the Launcher or just by starting the game. 4x works as it's supposed to, though. Weird.

For those interested in trying these drivers, don't enable Pixel Blending; this gives you the lovely whited-out text you normally get when setting the card to 'Fastest Performance'. And Auto Mip-Map locks up the system in larger scenarios. I've gone back to the 1.04 drivers.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Maximus wrote:

Maybe this is just a case of the generally poor image quality of Voodoo cards in general.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Riiiight. Troll somewhere else, Max. It got old a long time ago.

- Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

the N64. Speaking of which, I can't believe that they still make games for the PSX. Geez, talk about an out-of-date system when the PS2 is a 128-bit system.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many PSX is there? How many PS2 is there?

MUCH bigger market for PSX.