Operation Design

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Certainly in Advance, the defenders are more likely to be displaced if bypassed.

Assault ops give a chance of being locked in place, depending on how many troops the attacker has forward. A large breakthrough is more likely to force the defending position to fall back.

Outflanking enemy positions pays in ops. If a breakthru at one point happens and a spearhead moves thru, it may happen that defenders get cut off. Depending on relative strength CM decides whether the attackers forward units are cut off or the defender gets cut off. Cut off small units are outside deployment zones, thus they can stay exactly where they are - but they are allowed to be moved back into the deployment zone. Cut off large units may hold an area and a deployment zone will stay there.

Thus operations with a broad front favor the attacker, as he can choose where he attacks. A human defenders may have some mobile reserves and counter this, the AI is helpless...

Gruß

Joachim

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by von Lucke:

[qb]This is, IMHO, the biggest flaw with Operations. You can't fine tune the arrival of reinforcements like you can in a stand-alone scenario: All Op reinforcements arrive on Turn 1, in one place, in one mob. A bit annoying, actually.

Yes, although understandable as well in some operations. It would be odd if there is time between battles to totally regroup your forces but somehow the reinforcements won't make it into the battle until it has started already.

</font>

Map making is really starting to wear on my nerves.

I'm having trouble with cme/cmf file differences.

While working on my operation map, I realized I have 2 files under the same name, a cme and a cmf.

Today, I loaded the cmf file and worked a bit on the map. I saved my work under the cmf file. I reload the cmf file and my progress is there. I save again under cmf and exit. I load the cme of the same file name and todays work is not there. It prompts me to save before I leave under the cme and I hit yes. I reload the cmf file which has todays work and now the work has disappeared under cmf.

This cme/cmf crap is really causing a great deal of confusion. I'm afraid to do anymore work and end up doing one little thing wrong and losing all my work.

Could someone please help me understand what I am doing wrong?

Thankyou

If you look in your scenario folder you will notice from the names that cme are battles and cmf are ops. you cant swap the two. like you cant open aol email with hotmail. they are two different programs with the game program. i read your post at warfare hq, you can make a map and save it, but its not a battle or op until you add the troops and setup zones etc. say you went to new battle, then straight to map. you create a map then out and save. then exit and click start game. you can find your battle in the list, but there is no game to play. If you "save as" you will copy over something. make sense?

Anybody figure out how to have two Night battles in a row (followed by a Dawn battle)? I've tried half-a-dozen combinations, but can't quite seem to hit the right one.

EDIT: The above two messages have me wondering: Can you somehow import a Battle map into an Operation? (You know, scrub a scenario map clean of units and then use it for an operation)?

[ January 23, 2004, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: von Lucke ]

You might want to try using Mapping Mission to help make the map. It has the advantage of storing the map off by itself in another format and you only generate the CM map from that master copy. Should take care of the .cm* file woes where you lose your work.

It's really intended for dealing with extra-large maps (bigger than CM can deal with) - I'm using it to map most of Stalingrad, but after spending a week with the program I think I would probably use it for all maps since it gives you cut/paste ability and its way easier to do elevations.

@junkdrive,

Yes, I believe I understand. I am just wondering how I got a cme and a cmf for the same named file. I guess I screwed up somewhere.

The bottom line is that I want to be an op, so I just have to make sure it always stays a cmf file. The 1st thing I did when I began is clicked "New Operation" and then I started to make my map. In order for my map to be in operational format it's required to click "New Operation", 1st right? I can't make a map then go back and finally click "New Operation" because you can't import maps into an operation.

I think I have it now. Just make sure it stays cmf.

Thanks