Is An Ambush REALLY ALL THAT important? //How do you blow up bridges?

'Sploding bridges is done about the same way as 'sploding large heavy buildings. A wooden bridge is about the equivalent of a large heavy building. A stone bridge is probably two large heavy buildings. In other words it takes many direct hits with HE to destroy a bridge.

Ambushes ARE important if you want to keep your units hidden until an enemy unit gets in range of the Ambush Marker.

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

"I do what I likes, and I likes what I do."--Darrell Hammond (portraying Bill Clinton), SNL

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 03-07-2001).]

Originally posted by Luftwaffe:

Hey,

How on earth do you blow up bridges? How do you ambush? It seems like my guys always get spotted! Is an ambush really ALL that important!?!?!?!

No, ambushes aren't important so don't even bother learning them. To blow up bridges, line as many of your artillery spotters as you can and use the 'move' command to get them withing 40 meters of the bridge. You'll need to keep them there for 2 turns before the bridge is destroyed.

As far as your guys always being spotted all the time, it's probably because you suck.

Kitty

------------------

Hamsters at War!

Chicks With Tanks

Lorak's FTX

"I'd rather the Bees than your Mask of Shame." - Stuka

The McNoldy Group

I am a little confused Luftwaffe.

Why do you want to blow up your own bridge?

------------------

"Stand to your glasses steady,

This world is a world of lies,

Here's a toast to the dead already,

And here's to the next man to die."

-hymn of the "Double Reds"

I've never tried blowing up a bridge so I can't help there. As far as the importance of the Ambush, it depends on the player but for me it is extremely important on the defense. I play as the Germans alot with veteran or expensive equipment. In most of my games I'm usually quite outnumbered so a well laid ambush and proper withdrawal to another fighting position is quite handy. What an ambush does for a numerically inferior defender is that you of course get the first shots off and that's where you inflict alot of casualties and shock. Less experienced troops will panic and run or freeze. Only the well-trained/elite formations will recover and counter quickly. Also a well placed ambush should negate the attacker's numerical advantage by making sure your troops/units can only be seen if at all by the fewest number of enemy troops or better yet the units on the receiving end of the ambush. It will take time for others to rush to help out there comrades. That's why ambushes are so important to the defender. Oh yeah, and if time is a factor(delaying action, you German players are probably used to this by now)enough small ambushes will usually force your opponent to slow down and be more cautious or expend valuable resources that he could use on the main attack to chase down/eliminate your ambushing units. If this can't pursuade you to the importance of an ambush I don't know what will.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

About using ambush:

My take on the matter is to initially simply hide the troops.

Once the enemy starts closing in I decide if I want to use the ambush command or not.

If the enemy come in a spread formation it might be more effective to let my troops start fighting when they feel like it, this works well with regular troops.

ATGs might need ambush targets to open up at the correct time and distance.

Cheers

Olle

The most critical thing about ambushes is using terrain properly. Ideally, at least two criteria should be met: 1.)Very limited line of sight on the approach to the ambush point. You need to make sure that the enemy cannot use support units to stand off and pound your position with HE from afar. Reverse slopes are prime examples of such terrain features. A wonderful trick is to set up so that you give the enemy only one or two spots in which they can support their troops with HE (usually from tanks), and then cover these areas with anti-tank assets. This is almost like a double ambush. 2.)Good cover to allow a withdrawal to a secondary position quickly after the ambush is sprung.

In many battles, your only chance as a defender is to effectively use ambushes to attrit/delay the enemy before he hits your MLR.

With practice you should be able to develop your skills in ambushing and you will soon recognize their importance.

Guest Mikey D

Blowing up a bridge is very handy if you are defending and want to stop an opponent from crossing that bridge (I did just that only last night in a game). Stone bridges are tough. I've never see a stone bridge get blown up, except for once when an Allied 14" shell accidentally clobbered the bridge they were trying to capture!

Originally posted by Kitty:

No, ambushes aren't important so don't even bother learning them. To blow up bridges, line as many of your artillery spotters as you can and use the 'move' command to get them withing 40 meters of the bridge. You'll need to keep them there for 2 turns before the bridge is destroyed.

As far as your guys always being spotted all the time, it's probably because you suck.

Kitty

Kidding Kitty smile.gif He wasn't asking how to blow up his spotters ! biggrin.gif

As for the usefullness of ambushes, let me ambush you, wherever you want eek.gif

Originally posted by Kitty:

Kitty

Thinks to himself, "I just might have to play this girl..."

Jeff

------------------

When nuclear weapons are frozen then only freezers will have nuclear weapons.

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by Luftwaffe:

Is an ambush really ALL that important!?!?!?!

Important? Hmm, dunno... But fun, unless you are on the receiving end...

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.