M2 90mm AA gun - underrated?

After playing this game for over a year now, I have yet to buy the M2 90mm gun. I don't know why, just never have. But I was experimenting with it last night and have come to see the possibilities of this gun, especially in tank fests.

The 90mm gun is similar to the 88mm flak gun the jerries have. It can kill tanks (even the heavies), has good HE blast radius, and a decent ROF. And at 90 points (or thereabouts), it's an OK buy (not good, but OK). It doesn't have as big a blast as the 105mm inf gun, but it has more armor killing capability. It doesn't penetrate armor like the 76mm AT gun, but it has a bigger blast and is better against inf. Plus, for those rare games that have German fighter-bombers, it'll keep the gnats away. The main drawback, other than perhaps the cost, is that it is immobile once setup.

Seems like a great general purpose gun. Why is no one giving it kudos?

The 90 mm is definitely under-rated. I love this weapon, and purchase at least two or three in any defensive QB. I can’t believe that this gun has less armor piercing ability than the 76. It knocks out King Tigers! Just make sure that the guns have over-lapping fields of fire, and hide the crew until you get a few big juicy targets, then let ‘em rip!

BTW, Wilhammer is correct, the 90’s and 88’s do not add to air defense in the game.

The M2 90mm AA gun is nice but is lacking in a few things. First, as was already stated it doesn't add to local AA defenses against fighter bombers. That's the job for the more "nimble" Allied 40mm Bofors (nice gun too, BTW) & German 20mm/37mm FlaK. Secondly, just like the German 88mm FlaK it seems to have a high profile. Contrasting the 88mm FlaK to the 88mm ATG versions and you'll see. Though both guns are huge, the FlaK probably stands out more. Thirdly, again, just like the German 88mm FlaK, they were purposely built for air defenses so they don't carry that much AP ammunition.

For Allied AT duties, the 76mm and 17-pdr guns get all the work.

Well, if you look at the HE penetration data, it is none too shabby and will penetrate most German armor. So the lack of AP is not as detrimental as it would first appear.

I played a canned scenario that had the 88mm Flak and allied FBs. The flak gun drew a target line to the jabo as it flew over. Whether it fired or not, I do not remember. But why draw a target line if it cannot shoot? So I'm assuming the M2 could as well. So, how sure are you guys that these big AA guns cannot fire on FBs? I'm at work right now or I'd test it myself.