BTS, who speaks for you?

Guest Space Thing

Guest Space Thing

Ok, a search won't help here since things can change as time rolls on.

I seem to read posts from nice (and not so nice) helpful people that seem to be speaking with the authority of "god" (so to speak). They seem to act like they are on the Board of Directors at BTS.

It is a little confusing sometimes.

Just to set the current record straight, who exactly does have the official OK to speak for you about CMx and the future? I know that MadMatt, Kwazydog, & Steve have been very helpful with sharing their knowledge. (Does Charles ever post here?) I was just wondering if there was anyone else? I also know you guys hired two more folks. Who are they? Thanks.

Those are them, all of them!

Steve and Charles started the firm and hired Mad and Kwazy recently. They are in the loop, the rest of us.. are not *sniff sniff*

That doesn't mean there aren't a lot of people here who don't know a lot about WW2 and about BTS's thoughts on things mentioned in the past, so often people are apt to quote or mention stuff from previous BTS postings on the same topic, hence the sense of authority I guess

PeterNZ

------------------

"Patriotism is the virtue of the viscious" - Oscar Wilde

"Don't F*CK with Johnny Cash!" - Chupacabra

a helpful way to see how "senior" a member is by looking at his profile(left icon of the four in each message). a lot of posts probably means he knows a bit...

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Originally posted by russellmz:

a helpful way to see how "senior" a member is by looking at his profile(left icon of the four in each message). a lot of posts probably means he knows a bit...

I am the exception, Russell. I type faster than I think. hehe

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Guest Space Thing

I mean absolutely no disrespect to ANYONE and I'm NOT trying to start any kind of an arguement, flame, or whatever. I simply want to know.

IMO, just accepting the number of posts made as a sign of bearing knowledge can be a mistake when you consider all of the strange posts that are made here. I cite the Peng thread posts as an example. A few people can sure rack up the numbers.

I humbly submit that you all may be right, but the only answer that I'll accept is BTS's answer, thank you. smile.gif I'd like to see it in their words.

I respectfully ask again: Who speaks for you BTS? Does everyone? How can we tell who does and does not? (Outside of Steve, Charles, Madmatt, & Kwazydog that is.) I thank you for your answer -ahead of time. smile.gif

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by Space Thing:

I humbly submit that you all may be right, but the only answer that I'll accept is BTS's answer, thank you. smile.gif I'd like to see it in their words.

Why don't you send them an email then if somebody else's answer is not good enough for you?

The answer is Steve, Charles (both posting as 'Big Time Software'), KwazyDog and Madmatt.

Also - the Peng threaders belong to the more knowledgeable people on the board. You have read it here first.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to ANYONE and I'm NOT trying to start any kind of an arguement, flame, or whatever. I simply want to know.

IMO, just accepting the number of posts made as a sign of bearing knowledge can be a mistake when you consider all of the strange posts that are made here. I cite the Peng thread posts as an example. A few people can sure rack up the numbers.

I respectfully ask again: Who speaks for you BTS? Does everyone? How can we tell who does and does not? (Outside of Steve, Charles, Madmatt, & Kwazydog that is.) I thank you for your answer -ahead of time. smile.gif

Space Thing, no one posts for BTS but BTS, but I think PeterNZer hit it right on the head, despite the handicap of his place of birth and listed interests, that some people have been around enough to give back the answer BTS has given in the past. Also some of the long timers (not me, I am on l for just a year in two guises) are actually part of the private / public BETA team, and have an inside track on why things were done the way they were done.

Pssstt, hey kid, c'mere. Wanna hear da latess scoop? Der's a shipment of CM disks leaving tanight on sum liberty ship down at the docks. I got it straight from my cousin that works the dock wit a guy was in on the beta team see, so dis is a sure thing see, don't blowit. Be dere at 11. Don't ferget, ya got da scoop from Beta Face Nelson. smile.gif

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 01-26-2001).]

I dunno... That would mean thatBenny "The Captain" knew more than anyone else!

Also, some of us had our accounts blown away a couple times trying to post when the server was kaput.

I would like to suggest that there is a mutually suportive communnity here.

Germanboy once told us a story that his grandmother told about the forest and how the forest echoes back if it is right (or somthing to that effect) I know those few words did not do his Grandmother's story justice, but what I'm trying to say is that while there may be alot of flaming and bickering around here there is a sense of community and some of us are actually working to try to be supportive and answer questions that BTS has answered in the past.

I personally try to answer all new questions about LOS through live and dead non-burning vehicles because it was one of my pet peeves right from the days of the beta Demo. I have a bookmark of the thread with Steve's quote in it answering that concern and I post his words in the thread he answered the question in, so that BTS does not have to deal with that question over and over again. There are many of us here who know where the answer to your question may already be if it has been answered on the forum before so we all pitch in (like any good community) to help BTS by posting any previous quotes "officially" from Steve and Charles and Matt and Kwazy so they don't have to waste more time away from actual game developement to deal with old issues that they have already posted "policy" statements about.

And no I'm not speaking for BTS I'm speaking for myeslf about how I try to help out and re-post relevant quotes from BTS that many be news to some newer members but were posted some time ago.

If every new member like yourself requested a special and specific answer from BTS regarding an issue or question that had already been answered they would never have ANY time to work on CM2

Again I'm NOT speaking for BTS I'm just making an observation about how the community here in this forum can be helpful and mutually supportive to both BTS and new members here.

Hope that helps.

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 01-26-2001).]

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

I would like to suggest that there is a mutually suportive communnity here.

Germanboy once told us a story that his grandmother told about the forest and how the forest echoes back if it is right (or somthing to that effect)

My all-time favourite flame-in! Running HMGs, spur of the moment complaining, a true classic. Soon to be re-released biggrin.gif

Wie man in den Wald hineinruft, so schallt es heraus. Roughly: if you shout into the forest, it will shout back.

Tom, I totally agree about the community bit.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Guest Mikey D

So few bigwigs, so much sales. Downright unAmerican.

How many actual people are doing work on CM2? I envision dozens of cubicles in a sprawling office complex, filled with technicians in lab coats holding clipboards. And don't forget the crew cuts and black horn rim glasses. Oh yeh, and catered staff meetings.

I don't know about BTS but Lorak speaks for the trees. With that kind of authority and professional experience, I'm sure he'd be a perfect candidate to speak for BTS.

------------------

"The hands of the Clock of Doom have moved again. Only a few more swings of the pendulum, and, from Moscow to Chicago, atomic explosions will strike midnight for Western civilization."

-Eugene Rabinowitch

Guest Space Thing

Wow, When I first started this thread, I expected my wife to have to bury me this afternoon. You see, I don't own any kevlar or asbestos suits. smile.gif

I accept what has been said. (I'm still a little unsure about who all was part of the private-public beta testing teams.) Is there a list anywhere that new folks can access so they can be sure that they are receiving accurate information? Who are these heroes? Shall they remain unsung? smile.gif

I also felt that others would benefit by this too. I sincerely thank all for their answers. I am mostly greatful however, for your civility. It isn't dead afterall. smile.gif I liked that one Bruno. Heck, I liked them all. Thanks everyone. smile.gif

Wow, When I first started this thread, I expected my wife to have to bury me this afternoon. You see, I don't own any kevlar or asbestos suits. smile.gif

I accept what has been said. (I'm still a little unsure about who all was part of the private-public beta testing teams.) Is there a list anywhere that new folks can access so they can be sure that they are receiving accurate information? Who are these heroes? Shall they remain unsung? smile.gif

I also felt that others would benefit by this too. I sincerely thank all for their answers. I am mostly greatful however, for your civility. It isn't dead afterall. smile.gif I liked that one Bruno. Heck, I liked them all. Thanks everyone. smile.gif

YES

Bruno's post was VERY entertaining and almost accurate in some respects.

I too would be very interested to know who exactly is on the private beta tester list.

One thing is for Sure, I'm not on the list, but I have asked to be included in the past, based on my Mac Tech experience and propensity and passion to find gamey loopholes that other gamey players might like to exploit, smile.gif but I was sadly told my skills were not needed frown.gif

(Posted in GOOD humour of course)

-tom w

In one of the chat rooms people have asked me a couple of times if I work for BTS. Heck, one guy thought I was Charles hisself biggrin.gif

If I know the answer to a question, I'll answer it. If I think I know the answer, I'll say I think I know the answer. If a discussion is interesting, I'll join it. If there's a cesspool, I'll swim in it. wink.gif

But I don't speak for BTS

------------------

When it's my turn to march up to Glory,

I'm gonna have one HELL of a story...

The Face of Evil

Not really, I tried that myself, and to my great surprise, found that I was one of the few members who have been around since 1999!

Armed with this knowledge, I went to the Cesspool (otherwise known as the Peng thread) and accused them of being mostly wet-behind-the-ears newcomers posing as know-it-all veterans. That is how I found out that there was some year-2000 computer crash that wiped out all the member information, so most of the members from way back when had to re-register.

Seems that the oldest member is Mark IV, who has been a member since the year 100, before the fall of the Roman Empire.

Anyway, as a result, I have the dubious honor of being the only person who succeeded in making a statement outrageous enough to be kicked out of the cesspool.

The testers' names are in the manual, but some of the REALLY early ones are not there, I guess because they did not stay until the end (no, I won't say, I promised not to tell...).

Henri

Originally posted by Compassion:

I dunno... That would mean thatBenny "The Captain" knew more than anyone else!

LOL

Also, some of us had our accounts blown away a couple times trying to post when the server was kaput.

Been there done that. I lost my firt user name just after Christmas '99. That was about the time we found out the Captain wasn't using full fog of war.

Cheers

Eric

------------------

Pair-O-Dice

"Once a Diceman, Always a Diceman."

Guest Madmatt

If BTS were god then:

Steve is the voice of god

Charles is the mind of god

Kwazydog is the patience of god

and I am the vengence of god

There you have it...The Quadumverate.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Elijah Meeks:

I don't know about BTS but Lorak speaks for the trees. With that kind of authority and professional experience, I'm sure he'd be a perfect candidate to speak for BTS.

Ahh yes,

Thank you Meeks,

By the way the Crape Myrtles wanted me to let everyone know that this is the time to remove the dead flower sections and prune them to promote new growth this summer.

Lorak the loathed

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

Cesspool

Combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX

and for Kitty's sake

=^..^=