Assault Boats... whats up with them?

I did a recent battle no hills, no trees, day and clear, farmland. I took 145 Assault boats against one HMG unit. I LOST! whats up with that???? I mean BTS COME ON, that HMG team could not take out 145 Boats! ok maybe 20 or so but never in the history of mankind has a HMG Unit taken out 145 A.B.!!! something has to be done, do SOMEFINK!

---------------

www.derkessel.com Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

yes.. and I think that sux... I mean those crew could have got out and carried those stupid things to the HMG... I'm doing another test soon.. 500 Jeeps against one King Tiger.. now I don't expect those jeeps to knock out that tiger but if they can't at least throw a track or damage that gun on that thing I am going to complain!

BTS you still have not done somefink!

----------

www.derkessel.com Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Mensch,

There is definetly a bug here, and it's not just with assault boats. I just tried 10 minefields against one 75mm AT pillbox and they couldn't knock it out. They just sat there in full LOS and did nothing. You'd think the beta testers would have caught that.

Next I'm going to try a flaming wood tile against a large pine forest. Should I e-mail Charles the results?

------------------

"I do like to see the arms and legs fly"

Originally posted by mensch:

I did a recent battle no hills, no trees, day and clear, farmland. I took 145 Assault boats against one HMG unit. I LOST! whats up with that???? I mean BTS COME ON, that HMG team could not take out 145 Boats! ok maybe 20 or so but never in the history of mankind has a HMG Unit taken out 145 A.B.!!! something has to be done, do SOMEFINK!

---------------

Greg, what proof do you have that assault boats could not knock out an HMG, or that an HMG could knock out an assault boat. Why, the other day I used assault boat lugging infantry to storm a city and they use the assault boats as big hand to tank combat weapons.

It's not actually a bug... it's a feature...

See, as the crews were running across the fields carrying the assault boats, one of them probably said "Dude, like this is a major drag."

Another said "Yeah, I'm really zonked!"

They noticed there was no HQ unit nearby, so they decided to nap (as in the little known "battle of batarang") inside the boats.

When the MG opened up they were like "Dude, where's that coming from?" because LOS was blocked, as they were laying in the boats.

From reading "A Bridge Too Far" we ALL know how flimsy those boats were, and the MG just cut the crews up inside. Unfortunately, the other crews could not see what poor cover the boats were affording their mates (because LOS was blocked... DUH!) so they too were cut apart by the MG fire.

See, it's realistic!

------------------

"Fear is for the enemy...

Fear and Bullets."

Guest Germanboy

I regularly use assault boats and it works. Basically they get shot up, and then I use their crews to assault the defensive positions. I am sure that is totally realistic, I have seen it once in a movie, so it must be true. Even if it is not realistic, then at least the Germans will have it coming. Assault boat crews received numerous medals for their heroism once their boats were destroyed in the wheat fields of France.

That is a well-documented belief of mine.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 01-29-2001).]

Actually, Mensch, those boats were not destroyed at all. Throughout the ETO, there were hundreds of cases in which troops with boats had such good morale, they decided to forget the war and go fishing. By deserting in this way, they were clearly useless for combat, so BTS has chosen to model them as destroyed. Many of them fished their way clear around the world, ending up in Alaska via the Northwest Passage.

Sadly, their wood and canvas boats could not hold up well in the fridgid waters of Alaska, which is what prompted Kevin Smit' to write the song that I stole for my sig.

For the best assault boat thread ever; http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/011343.html

If you want to download CM's first, only, and best assault boat mod, go to http://www.angelfire.com/ns/mocm/index.html in a few days, and it should be there. Better yet, bother Madmatt and Manx to put it up on their websites. Or email me for it.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

[This message has been edited by 109 Gustav (edited 01-29-2001).]

What about a full-scale assault of

Target-Reference-Points against a single

roadblock. Just wonder how long it could stand that

threat. ;)

Marcus

------------------

Alle Maschinen voraus Große, Ruder hart Backbord. Neuer Kurs wird Zwo-Eins-Null.

What makes me mad about all you guys is you are making fun of one of the most useful units in the game. Look at this:

ab1.gif

Imagine the poor helpless Sherman without the help of this assault boat, up to its turret in water. Terrible. Once out of the water:

ab2.gif

The Sherman uses the assault boat and its crew as additional armor, in addition to fooling German gunners into believing it is just a defenseless assault boat. This was of course more rare as German gunner found out that assault boats were more dangerous than Shermans, but it still shows the dedication of these fine units and their value in CM.

Originally posted by Slapdragon:

This was of course more rare as German gunner found out that assault boats were more dangerous than Shermans, but it still shows the dedication of these fine units and their value in CM.

LOL. biggrin.gif I guess even sherman crews want to go fishing once in awhile. Relieve some of the stress that comes from bailing out, running away, firing smoke rounds, and using burning shermans as cover from fire.

------------------

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

This was of course more rare as German gunner found out that assault boats were more dangerous than Shermans, but it still shows the dedication of these fine units and their value in CM.

LOL. biggrin.gif I guess even sherman crews want to go fishing once in awhile. Relieve some of the stress that comes from bailing out, running away, firing smoke rounds, and using burning shermans as cover from enemy fire.

------------------

See- I used to be a Sherman crewmember, and now I d-d-double post from the stress. Flashbacks, I guess.

redface.gif And hit the reply button instead of edit, making it a triple post. I'd better get off this forum for awhile before I hurt someone. redface.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by 109 Gustav (edited 01-29-2001).]

Originally posted by mike8g:

LOL

(some kind of Sherman- Assault boat- Mistel)

Slapdragon,

I think the Germans must have had your idea in mind when they invented this:

rammtiger.jpg

(Image from http://www.achtungpanzer.com)

Marcus

That is it, the deadly Assaultboatenpanzerwaffeluftfliegersshiessenauflakaurkommandofloatenthingen. The Germans loved their uber boats.

the deadly Assaultboatenpanzerwaffeluftfliegersshiessenauflakaurkommandofloatenthingen.

or said in German terms:

>>> die EierlegendeWollmilchsau <<<

(the egglaying-wool-milk-pig, it can just do everything) ;)

Marcus

------------------

Alle Maschinen voraus Große, Ruder hart Backbord. Neuer Kurs wird Zwo-Eins-Null.

The Sherman uses the assault boat and its crew as additional armor, in addition to fooling German gunners into believing it is just a defenseless assault boat. This was of course more rare as German gunner found out that assault boats were more dangerous than Shermans, but it still shows the dedication of these fine units and their value in CM.

This issue has already been discussed on the board. Please do a search. Some people. Sheesh!

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/005563.html

------------------

Ethan

-----------

"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech." -- Dr. Kathleen Dixon, Director of Women's Studies, Bowling Green State University

That is a well-documented belief of mine.
BAH! And again I say BAH! And once again just for good measure BAH! We have had enough, I say, of your purported SOURCES Andreas! I suppose you'll trot out that old chestnut (please, just once, trot out an acorn or a brazil nut) written by Helmut Peter (sit down Bauhaus ... opps, sorry, wrong thread), "Die Andreas, Die Deutscher Junge" (surely a sentiment we can all share) are you? We ALL know by now that you claim Herr Peter said "We may suppose that Andreas may have had beliefs ...", a lukewarm agreement at best, but in point of fact he continues beyond the ellipse to state, "... AT ONE POINT. Now that he is gainfully employed, however, all beliefs have been superceded by the base desire for money." Your beliefs, as you continue to call them, have lost all relevance for us. You, sir, are pathetic. I, on the other hand, remain ...

Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe Shaw (edited 01-29-2001).]

Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

LOL!

I made my first double post ever today, I think it's a bug in the forum...

Only a double? I'll see your double, and raise you a quarter.

Slapdragon, after spending the last few hours exaustively researching this topic (actually playing Pong on my TI83 calculator in Chem lab) I have concluded that the tank in your pictures is the famous "Munson Sherman." Due to a typo in an official report, it was called the "Ronson" by all but us treadhead grognards.

This sherman varient was made by Munson Shipyards in Seattle, Washington when it was discovered that the only way Shermans could stay alive was to submerge themselves in canals whenever there were antitank shells flying. Munson combined the standard M4A3 75 (Mortality 4 minutes, actually 3 minutes, 75% chance of going WHOOSH in a huge fireball) with their popular line of skiffs. Shermans could now reverse at full speed toward a canal, deploy their skiff, pull themselves out to deep water with an attached winch known as a kanalkrank and sink into saftey.

After the war, Munson could no longer make shoddy, poorly designed tanks like the Sherman. However, with all their experience in building poorly designed products, they were a natural for making skiffs for fishing. Even today, many fishermen, including myself, are forced to use Munson skiffs. I am proud of the company's history of building Shermans, for their skiffs still have all the same traits of that :in:famous tank.

------------------

Guest Madmatt

Hi guys...You know we have a nice little padded cell err Hehehe I mean ROOM all fit for discussions like this. It's nice there, smalls a bit but you'll get used to it. Here is a little link for you and you can talk about this stuff ALL YOU WANT THERE.

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/015377.html

Now let me give you a little injection, you may feel a slight CHILL...