What do you think of the CM2 shots ?

Before I start I have got to say I love this game, It keeps getting better each time I play it....But the new CM2 shots, they don't seem to be a much of an improvement of the current CM. Please tell me if this is the case of the level of the moders ahead of the coders or vise versa. I would be gratefull if those in the know tell me why I should spend my cash (no matter what I can still see myself buying CM2, if the misses lets me!!!)?

I think it's safe to say, that no matter how good BTS manage to make CM2 look, it will look a lot better once the modders get to work on it.

Realise though, that BTS only has so much time to spend working on each individual graphic before they have to move on to the next, whereas modders have no such constraints.

The game engine for CM2 is mostly the same as CMBO's. There are some differences, but graphically (other than the obvious change of units, etc.) they will be similar (though the initial textures will be of a higher resolution than the stock CMBO ones were). If you are just speaking of the quality of some of the textures, then you have to remember that most of those screenshots used textures from CMBO (like the faces, the grass and some of the trees). This is a work in progress. The textures aren't final, but just a sample of what has been worked on so far. There are more changes coming in regards to the textures and models.

Why should you purchase it ? There will be some nice improvements in the way that CM2 (CMB2B/CMBB) plays that will make the employment of realistic tactics that much more effective. The biggest reason will be that it is the Eastern Front, covering a far larger time frame of the war than CMBO did. This means that there will be different tactics of engagement depending on what year you are playing. The Germans (and their allies) will often engage AFVs that are superior to theirs for a good portion of the war. There are already more than twice as many AFV types planned for inclusion than there were in CMBO.

There may not be enough changes for some people to justify purchasing this game; other than the change of theater it is only an evolutionary improvement. And other people just don't prefer or are not interested in the Eastern Front. But if you currently enjoy CMBO then you will possibly like CM2 even more.

[ 06-22-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Johnson-<THC>-:

You could always spend your money on a bugger game rushed out the door from one of the major publishing houses.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like "Operation Flashpoint" :mad:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by litchy:

Before I start I have got to say I love this game, It keeps getting better each time I play it....But the new CM2 shots, they don't seem to be a much of an improvement of the current CM. Please tell me if this is the case of the level of the moders ahead of the coders or vise versa. I would be gratefull if those in the know tell me why I should spend my cash (no matter what I can still see myself buying CM2, if the misses lets me!!!)?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh please - stop judging this book by its cover, and read the article on how much the gameplay will have improved! I'd play CM2 if it had nothing but stick figures in 16 colour graphics like my old Tandy!

Why should you spend your cash? You imply in the first sentence it is a great game - and the new features will make it more so.

Don't be a mod snob!

And personally, I love the look of the screenshots, and think the T-34 and Russian uniforms look great!

Well, I was actually thinking the exact thing after looking at the pictures and was a little disappointed too until I remembered why I play the game. But also the modders will greatly improve anything the game starts out with anyway and the way the recent modders are detailing their mods now is just unbelieveable. I mean I look at them and go DAMN! that is outstanding. I am actually thinking - just thinking, mind you of maybe seeing if I can figure it out myself. Time is a big problem though so don't know. Anyway as I was saying I really play the game because it's so real like in my opinion that it's the closest thing to actually fighting yourself and that is dangerous so I avoid that nowadays but still love ( what a odd word to use ) war. Besides I only play the American's and when CMBB comes out I'll get to play the German's and use all that neat stuff I've been getting beat up by for a change. :D

Litchy, three things to keep in mind smile.gif

Firstly, CM2 will use the CM1 graphics engine as a basis for that in CM2. This means that we wont be able to make any radical changes to the look of the game (probably what you are noticing) *but* Charles has hinted that there will be enhancements down the track. These will happen, as long as they dont take time away from gameplay coding. For instance, in the gamespot preview I am pretty sure Charles metnioned that new muzzle blasts were being looked at.

Secondly, this is basically an alpha. All vehicles the you have seen screen shots off have changed since the shots were taken, with many of them being rushed along just for the shots smile.gif Remember, things will change.

And lastly, I am only one man smile.gif It look like there will be near 300 vehicle in CM2 and if I spend a week on each texture as I would *love* to be able to do, you wouldnt be recieving the game until 2005, hehe.

Dont forget that we will be rewriting the engine in the future to take advantage of the latest in graphics and hardware available at that time. This is when you will see a very different game visually, but I can assure you that CM2 already have game play features in action (I think Steve mentioned extreme Fog of War?) that is going to make it very cool smile.gif

Dan