identify this vehicle - will it be in CM2?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Would love to know what it would have taken to penetrate that beast from the frontal aspect... a Krupps rail gun perhaps?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think a 107Kg!!! Shaped Charge shell from the German Kanone would be the only answer smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Warphead-:

Yes that is the Trojanov. They have one in Kubinka. Supposedly it could only drive straight ahead because of the four tracks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure I see why it shouldn't be able to turn, in theory at least. Assuming each pair of tracks on either side were synchronised, surely all it would take to slew this monster around would be to brake one set of tracks while the other set remains in motion, hence a turning effect. Am I missing something here? (apart from the obvious of course that the Soviet designers either didn't think to have synchronised pairs of tracks or one side or the other couldn't be braked). :confused:

Regards

Jim R.

Right click, properties on the picture tells you were they are hosted. I think :D

I don't think this one is hosted at Geocities, but i use them, they are great. Freeservers.com is pretty darn good too but they send you stuff occasionally. Geocities doesn't smile.gif

This tank is the "Object 279" prototype. As described in The Russian Battlefield:

In 1957, a group of engineers, headed by L.S.Troyanov, developed a prototype of a new heavy tank, named "Object 279". This was a very unique vehicle. The tank had a classic layout, but the problem of protection was solved by an unusual design feature. The hull of the tank was covered by a thin elliptical shield. That shield protected the tank against HEAT ammunition and to prevent it from overturning during a nuclear explosion.

The thickness of the glacis plate was 269 mm, and the thickness of the turret was 305 mm. The tank was armed with a 130 mm M-65 gun and a coaxial 14.5 mm KPVT machine-gun. The ammunition carried for the main gun was 24 shells. The Engine was a 16-cylinder diesel DG-1000 (950 hp) or 2DG-8M (1000 hp). The tank's crew consisted of four men.

Another unusual feature of the tank was the chassis. It consisted of four tracks combined in pairs. Such construction increased the tank's height, but guaranteed that the tank would rarely get bogged down. The tank also had great tractability on snowy and swampy terrain. At the end of 1957, a single tank had been built, but after that the project was abandoned. The "Object 279" is now displayed at Kubinka.

You'll definitely not see this tank in CM2 since it wasn't even a glimmer of a thought in Russian tanks designers' heads until 1957. Having the IS-3 in CM2 will itself be a stretch so having a tank that didn't even appear until over ten years after the war and never went into mass production (only one prototype was made) isn't going to happen.

That looks pretty amazing! As far as I know, the slope of that armor would make it very difficult to penetrate, so why abandon the project? Was it

a) Too expensive to produce? (Im guessing yes)

B) Had some fatal flaw? (like someone said not being able to turn)

c) Went against Soviet doctrine of "quantity equals quality"?

d) All of the above?

I'd like to see this in a CMII setting though, would be interesting how it fared against more modern Western tanks with vastly superior cannons :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Duquette:

thanks stixx...the reason why I ask is that I havent been able to link directly to images from my Geocities site anymore. In other words I cant upload a photo to Geocities and post it here at CM forum.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, same here...started using photopoint, but they stated they were going to charge for the service in a little bit.

so i tried various free website services and now use homestead to host.

sh**, I had typed quite a message *and* posted it but it never appeared?

anyways, yes I know that it's not gonna be in CM2, but hey, I figured I needed sopme kind of pretext to post it here cause I thought you might like it (ducks from the evil look of BadMutt the padlock dog)....

yes, y'all did very well, here's a jar of cookies for ya....

JD, geo****ies is totally hosed up, they dio not allow deeplinking anymore. I've been trying to get a new free provider but as my luck would have it I am willing to bet that as soon as I list up on some other service they'll change their policy immediately too....