Update, please

Sorry, but the game was scrapped due to the fact that it was a poor imitation of more realistic wargames like Sudden Strike. There are some past CM players who still hang around here, though only to laugh at CM's feeble attempt at creating a realistic wargame.

Our favorite inside joke is BTS's decision to use armor tables for tanks when we all know that hit points is a much more accurate way of doing things.

Lol, oh...that still gives me a good chuckle now and then. What were they thinking?

Anyhow, we can all be found over at the Sudden Strike board now with all the other grogs. Cya there!

------------------

Youth is wasted on the young.

[This message has been edited by Colonel_Deadmarsh (edited 04-04-2001).]

Originally posted by Forever Babra:

Shhh... Don't tell anyone, but a birdie tells me that armour penetration data in CM2 will include variables caused by electron spin. It's only a matter of time before the Copenhagen interpretation is applied...

The refusal by BTS to factor in relativistic acceleration's influence on shell trajectory and armor penetration makes this game UNPLAYABLE!!! Also, Coriolis force.

Originally posted by Terence:

The refusal by BTS to factor in relativistic acceleration's influence on shell trajectory and armor penetration makes this game UNPLAYABLE!!! Also, Coriolis force.

Coriolis force has been in since 1.02. Charles has also included special relativity, slightly abstracted, in the armor penetration model. The high velocity AP shells are modeled as having the appropriate relativistic mass, though I think it was ignored for HE and shaped charge where it's a higher order effect. There have been rumors that BTS was going to include general relativistic effects in CMII, but I think that charles made some attempts to do that already, and some of the code is in CMBO. It's been mostly disabled, but I did notice what appeared to be a wormhole in one operation against jd-- he sent a broken company through a wormhole to hide and when they recovered they came back through it. It disappeared before I could find it, so either the wormholes, the code, or both are unstable, but it seems that the problems only manifest themselves in operations. We really have to wait for faster processors to be able to have GR effects in larger scenarios and ops.

There are a number of grogs who have been demanding the inclusion of quantum gravity and/or superstring theory in CM2, but the physics jury is still out on both of those, so it's unlikely that we'll see either one before CMII, if at all, depending on what how some experiments turn out between now and the start of development on that.

------------------

'Aye, ye'll likely win this one. Much as a fat boy wi' a baseball bat can manage tae kill a frog ain a bucket. Ye'll prolly get a medal an' all.' - OGSF

Originally posted by chrisl:

Coriolis force has been in since 1.02. Charles has also included special relativity, slightly abstracted, in the armor penetration model. The high velocity AP shells are modeled as having the appropriate relativistic mass,

{snip)....

There are a number of grogs who have been demanding the inclusion of quantum gravity and/or superstring theory in CM2, but the physics jury is still out on both of those, so it's unlikely that we'll see either one before CMII, if at all, depending on what how some experiments turn out between now and the start of development on that.

From ChrisL's profile:

"Occupation: physicist"

Chris! Put the joke down and back away. You are clearly much smarter than I am and it makes me nervous. smile.gif