AT Guns - newbie confusion

Specifically in 'fire and maneuvre' scenario. The damn things just won't die. My understanding of AT guns in the last war was that once you'd got one shot off you were rapidly eliminated unless you got the hell outa there. Not here they ain't. I had three tanks within yards of the one on the right and none of em could hit it! Are they all like this?

Hans

Actually CMBO guns die too easily because of absolute spotting.

Use arty or mortars, use many tanks at once or get them with a spreaded platoon if they are not covered.

In nasty ladder games I occasionally buy a Bofors as an "anti-gun" gun, because flak guns deliver lots of HE very fast and very precise.

[ 10-16-2001: Message edited by: redwolf ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HansStuck:

Thanks for the info but IRL in WW2 a tank would take out an AT gun with a couple of rounds!

...which is why I was confused.

Hans<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think that statement can hold without further qualification of circumstances.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The damn things just won't die. My understanding of AT guns in the last war was that once you'd got one shot off you were rapidly eliminated unless you got the hell outa there. Not here they ain't. I had three tanks within yards of the one on the right and none of em could hit it! Are they all like this?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

May not have been quite that simple. Here a quote from Tiger ace Otto Carius:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The destruction of an antitank gun was often accepted as nothing special by lay people and soldiers from other branches. Only the destruction of other tanks counted as a success. On the other hand, antitank guns counted twice as much to the experienced tanker. They were much more dangerous to us. The antitank cannon waited in ambush, well camouflaged and magnificently setup in terrain. Because of that, it was very difficult to identify. It was also very difficult to hit because of its low height. Usually, we didn't make out the antitank gun until they had fired the first shot. We were often hit right away, if the antitank crew was on top of things.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And from Michael Wittman:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The antitank gun is harder to spot than the tank; its able to get off more rounds before can find it<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mind you if an antitank gun was within yards of a tank in RL the tendency would be for the tank to do some 'tread greasing'

smile.gif

[ 10-16-2001: Message edited by: machineman ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HansStuck:

Thanks for the info but IRL in WW2 a tank would take out an AT gun with a couple of rounds!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As they very often do in the game. Keep playing, you'll see everything but the kitchen sink eventually (and even that's rumored to be in there somewhere).

I just completed a QB where the AI had three 50mm PaKs and one 75mm. Luckily for me, a 4.2" mortar bagged the 75 early on. A Sherman got the first 50mm in a three turn long range duel which saw the 50 getting hits on the turret face, causing internal flaking of the armor but no penetrations. The last two were taken out by another Sherman after they had been nicely suppressed by a combination of artillery and small arms fire.

As a footnote, I have read that for planning purposes, the Soviet general staff assumed that on average, an AT gun would kill two tanks before it was itself destroyed. If true, that's a pretty good rate of exchange.

Michael