Hit %: When to Fire that AT-gun?

Said 105mm has taken its very first shot @ 617m, timed fired = 29sec. into movie! Result.... "Front Upper Hull" penetration on Sherman #1 = KNOCKED OUT!

Plus inf. casualties that was piggy-backing on the Sherman!! It IS my day smile.gif

Sherman #2 is retaliating, but his 2 shots fired so far are wayward.

Said RCL is in the process of rotating towards Sherman #2, hopefulle being able to squeeze off a shot before Sherman #2 gets accurate. End of movie...damn.

Will report soon.

Regards,

Charl Theron

Congrats Winecape

It looks like all those negative waves in the recent postings had motivated your AT -crew.

For your question what I prefer as AT asset, I really like the 50mm PAK. It has a high ROF and is very difficult to spot even when fired given a sufficient engagement range and good coverage like woods. However, they have not enough punch against most Allied medium tanks like the Sherman and you need a flank/rear shot to get a penetration. They do an excellent job when they have to deal with light tanks ( Stuarts ) and most TDs.

In fact, Sherman #2 has raced behind a building, thereby losing LOS on my (about to) fire 105mm RCL veteran.

Further good news, as now the rest of the dis-embarked (or rather shot-off!) troops of knocked out Sherman #1 is open turkey (the Brits are cowering in scattered trees in front of smoked Sherman #1) for the RCL.

Just ordered the RCL to take some pot-shots at them Brit rifle squad.

Sooner or later Sherman #2 has to stick out his neck behind that building and deal with my firing RCL.

Not a bad shot @ 600m+ for the RCL! wink.gif

Don't dismiss the option of blowing away the house Sherman #2 is hiding behind. That is being proactive rather than being reactive and wait for it to appear again. His arty might be on the way as we speak... wink.gif

If it's a light building it shouldn't take more than, say, 3 shots. And hopefully some inf units are hiding in there as well. (An FO, maybe?) wink.gif

Sten

Originally posted by Sten:

Don't dismiss the option of blowing away the house Sherman #2 is hiding behind. That is being proactive rather than being reactive and wait for it to appear again...

Hello Sten, I have come across PBEM opponents that blows every house flat that houses some rats in them! smile.gif

Another piece of good advise with regard to this scenario. Will do.

The fact that the M4 Sherman #1 was *motionless* was probably the biggest factor that my RCL AT-gun got a hit first try.

Regards,

Charl Theron

Charl,

Uhm, if this is against me (except we are near the start of our PBEM...) then:

Yes, you &%*@# you got my Sherman V. Nice ambush

Oops, I lost a Daimler to another RCL. D'oh, forgot to canx the existing hunt order before teling it to run. The idiot therefore tried a long range duel, 2lber AP vs 105 RCL. He lost. What a surprise.

Another Daimler is about to show your two Stug III why having a turret is a good idea on AFV's.

Richard

Damn, this is exciting. Hope you get that file back tonight? My guess is you'll get one and the other, I'm afraid will be mad and shoot you. But one's not bad, the dirty damn Americans. How gamey having two Shermans team up like that. :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wisbech_lad

Charl, Uhm, if this is against me (except we are near the start of our PBEM... I had to protect your dignity Richard! ;)- Charl) then:

Yes, you &%*@# you got my Sherman V. Nice ambush Oops, I lost a Daimler to another RCL. D'oh, forgot to canx the existing hunt order before teling it to run. The idiot therefore tried a long range duel, 2lber AP vs 105 RCL. He lost. What a surprise.

Another Daimler is about to show your two Stug III why having a turret is a good idea on AFV's.

Richard<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see that your Daimler is sneaking around the hills upon my 2 hiding StuG's - Careful now Richard, they are covered by ...... ANOTHER 105mm RCL! Hehe. Yes, I'm a sneaky bastard ;)

BTW, your 40mm Daimler better shoot VERY quickly coming around the corner as I have already ordered my 2 StuG's to about turn and meet your Daimler. Hopefully you can get one StuG, hehe. If not, StuG #2 + RCL will toast the Brits for high noon tea!

Regards

Charl

Latest escapades of my 105mm RCL's as follows in above PBEM:

A new development. My opponent has sneakily rounded a small woody hill with his zippy 40mm Daimler AC, behind of which I have my 2 StuG III's. In fact, he has caught them napping (these beasts taking ages to traverse with no turret as my opponent has noted ;)) by having a beautiful backside flank shot on StuG #1, who is at pointblank range -- 55m.

As said Daimler AC crested the hill, stopped and traversed his turret to fire upon the closest StuG, my 105mm RCL LOS' (the 105mm RCL still has to swing 30 Deg. towards the crested Daimler as it was following "Sten's doctrine" by happily blasting a building) has the following info: "Hit:31%, Kill:Excellent, Hull Down".

Movie Sequence as follows:

The Daimler's 40mm gun Fired 1 shot @ 0:06 sec. at broadside StuG #1.

RESULT="Gun Hit. No serious damage!"

Mmmm. I *DO* count myself lucky, as the 40mm projectile of the Daimler AC should have penetrated according to metal thickness stats of the StuG III!!

Both StuG's (they are 5m apart) STILL(!) traversing towards the cocky Daimler.... Daimler Fired 2nd shot @ 0:12 at StuG #1.....

RESULT="Front upper hull hit. Shell broke up!"

My RCL at last has the Daimler in sight after turning away from the bombardment of a building, and fires its 105mm projectile 0:15 sec in movie...

RESULT="Shell misses, hits dirt 40m in front of Daimler"

Daimler sees RCL just missing, starts back-pedalling very fast over the hill the way it came, but not before firing a 3rd time over the heads of my TC in the StuG #1 @ 0:18 sec.... -- Jeez, these Daimlers MOTOR over the ground!

At last, my StuG's (both StuG's LOS on Daimler Hit:76%, Kill:Excellent have the "piranha" in sight, just to LOSE IT THROUGH THE TREES SECONDS LATER AS IT VANISHES as swiftly as it came over the hill. Damn. It must have been my RCL that gave "little big one" the fright, as the Daimler Ac did not back-off when it saw *TWO* StuG's around the hill.

26 seconds in movie and not a dull moment in sight! smile.gif Rest of sequence no action with regard to my 105mm RCL.

Oh well, lets swing my RCL back and pound the bejesus out of the building according to "Sten's doctrine".

Next sequence awaited, Richard! :D

Regards

Charl Theron

• 2 weeks later...

Escapades of my veteran 105mm Recoilless Rifle #2 (Yes, I have populated the battlefield with these lethal AT-guns on several "scattered tree" hills):

In view lumbers a Sherman V, with RCL #2 having the following firing data: Hit:13%, Kill:Good, 583m. I decided to "test" the accuracy of the RCL, as this is quite a low % chance of the 105mm's projectile actually hitting the Sherman. AT-gun Fires…

RESULT=Front turret penetration, Knocked out! .. plus Sherman ablaze, Brit crew jumping out, running for dear life to closest woods, not before shouting "Bastards!" Yeah man, I second that! :D And with a first shot! smile.gif Not bad at all. Obviously a real *VETERAN* shooter.

Anyone with similar 1st shot, low Hit% experience taking out an AFV at 500m+ range with RCL's?

Kind regards

Charl Theron

Guest ckoharik

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FriendlyFire:

It's a trade-off between the accuracy-at-range of the Pak50 and the big warhead of the RCL, so the choice depends on what I'm expecting to face and where. If I'm expecting Shermans and light armor at 750m on a nice open map, I'd take the Pak50. If I'm expecting Churchills and Jumbos in a more constrained map where I might first see them at 300m, I'd take the RCL.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he said. However, even when expecting some heavies I like the Pak50 in order to take out the lights/mediums and let something else concentrate on the big boys.

Yeah yeah, rub it in! That Sherman V brewing up was a real shock. Still, I have the comfort of knowing that my 2" mortars are yet to come into play.

Can't wait until CM3, and the embarassment that was the South African Division to get my revenge. They even managed to do badly against the Italians (Ariete division, granted...)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wisbech_lad:

Yeah yeah, rub it in! That Sherman V brewing up was a real shock. Still, I have the comfort of knowing that my 2" mortars are yet to come into play.

Can't wait until CM3, and the embarassment that was the South African Division to get my revenge. They even managed to do badly against the Italians (Ariete division, granted...)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find it hard to believe that you have not discovered the 105mm RCL. In fact, if memory serves correctly, you have fired at him before with the Sherman V! :rolleyes:

Granted, the South African division in Tobruk was outnumbered and out gunned (some sources said that there was a lack of fighting spirit - especially with 88's bombarding Tobruk, no doubt!), but never forget the RAF fighter aceSailor Malan, a truly fighting spirit.

Now, would tea drinking Montgomery have won against the Afrika corps WITH the same amount of war material that Rommel had at his disposal?

Careful Richard, more 105mm RCL are to be found in our PBEm that has not been discovered yet!

Cheers!