Best Wargames of the 90s!

Which are your favorite computer wargames? Naturally, Combat Mission tops the list, but beyond that, which ones do you consider to be the most in-depth, addictive games available? Your choices don't necessarily have to be within modern day, military standards. In other words, space & fantasy battle works fine here. Just looking for the best in sleep-depriving warfare.

Here are a few of my choices in no particular order:

- Battleground series (Gettysburg, Antietam, etc.)

- West Front (Talonsoft again)

- Operational Art of War

- Starfleet Command II

- Panzer General 3D (oh, come on, it's fun!)

- Shogun

- Tanks!

I could go on but I'll stop there.

Hit us with it.

Mudfrost

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was never much for turn based/hex based stuff though I tried them. My favorite war game of all time up until now is Sid Meirer's Gettysburg

------------------

There was a long silence of rememberance for the dead, to which I added these names:

Ernst Neubach, Lensen, Wiener, Wesreidau, Prinz, Solma, Hoth, Olensheim, Sperlovski, Smellens, Dunde, Kellerman, Freivitch, Ballers, Frosch, Woortenbeck, Siemenlies...

I refuse to add Paula to that list, and I shall never forget the names of Hals, or Lindberg, or Pferham, or Wollers. Their memory lves within me.

There is another man, whom I must forget. He was called Guy Sajer.

In no particular order.

Panzer General I/II

Steel Panthers II

Panzer Elite

European Air War (yeah baby!)

Close Combat II/IV

Shogun:Total War

East Front(even with it's initial faults)

I realize my picks aren't the hardcore old fashioned wargames. Two of them are even sims. But the first Panzer General got me into wargaming especially since you could try to change history with Germany.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

I didn't include Steel Panther World At War simple because it updates 1 to the standards of 2 and makes it fully windows compatible.If it came out in place of Steel Panthers 3 it may have made my list.Steel 2 was a ground breaker at the time IMO.

I tried to stick to ground breaking games, or ones that totally sucked you into the game like EAW did.

1.CM

2.Battleground's Napoleonic series

3.Shogun - I was a fan of the game for 2 years before it released, but was dissapointed in the end. The AI is simple, and the multiplayer lags, drops, and is full of bugs. I guess it still gets some kudos for OK looking graphics and original concept, even though I don't play it anymore.

Sorry for that little rant there, heh-heh...

I agree with Commissar, I have Shogun also, well my buddy brought it over to me becasue it doesn't work with his video card, and I played it for a little while, but I got bored of it pretty quickly and deleted that 1 GB behemoth off my HDD. eek.gif WOW! What a run-on sentence that was! eek.gif

A few of my top choices are:

Steel Panthers I (Never played 2 or 3)

Aces of the Deep (Although that is more of a simulation I suppose)

Panzer General 1&2

West Front

BattleGround: 2,3,6, and 7

Operational Art of War

European Air War

and now Combat Mission!

Which of these is my all time favorites? Thats a toss up between Steel Panthers and Combat Mission. I have played Steel Panthers much longer, in fact its still loaded on my old Zeos Pentium/66 system. Yes, I have a Windows 3.11 computer still. ::laughs::

Anyway... Combat Mission is a better product. But it should be considering the game is what? 6 or 7 years newer? Technology has greatly increased. Still SP was a wargame ahead of its time back then. It holds a special spot in my heart and mind. CM should win wargame of the year for 2000 though.

Skott,

Man, you should try Steel Panthers: World at War (see link above). Even with your system, I think you can run it.

I agree: Steel Panthers is still one of the best.

Mudfrost

[This message has been edited by Mudfrost (edited 01-06-2001).]

Gary Grigsby's "Pacific War." Man, did anyone else trudge through this one? I admit, as much as I admired the accuracy and depth, I didn't get too far. Somehow, I lost interest. Never-the-less, it's still on my short list of small treasures.

I understand there's an update coming. I'll pick it up again when that's released.

Mudfrost

Well I gotta include Panzer Commander (its a sim), there is nothing better than taking on those pesky t34-85's with your KT's and vise verse. Using Roger Wilco makes team play incredable.

Harpoon is a fine title as well as Aces of the Pacific. Nothing compares to Combat Missions, though.

------------------

'Lets go you apes! You want to live forever?'

Does anybody remember Clash of Steel, Pacific War and War in Russia? I played the hell out of them in the early 90's. Then came along panzer general which I played to death but wasnt very historical. Loved the Steel Panther series and played those a lot also. Of course there was the CC series as well but CM takes the cake!

Speaking of the new Harpoon, does anyone have any solid status of it? Somewhere I read where the company that was going to publish it was bought up and sorta left things up in the air a bit. If it doesn't get released, I will be one upset camper.