CM-UTDB : TIGER!!

As some of you may already be aware - i am trying to put together an online, web-based dossier, detailing the strength's and weaknesses of the units that can be found in CMBO. These notes will be published on the COMBAT MISSIONS website, in the hope that others may learn from our mistakes and successes.

Having started off with the Wespe and M8 (thanks to those who gave some feedback on them), i would now like you to switch your attention to the Pz VIE - 'TIGER'.

What tactics do you use on the CM battlefield with the Tiger?... Does it live up to it's fearsome reputation?...Does it 'purr' or 'growl'?.

Your thoughts, observations and tactical usage of this vehicle, would once again, be much appreciated!.

Remember, you can always add to the research already collected on each unit by visiting the COMBAT MISSIONS website and sending in your info.

The more feedback people are willing to share, the more useful it will be to ALL of us!.

TIA.

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - CM News, Supplies & Resources

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

[This message has been edited by Manx (edited 01-03-2001).]

IMHO the Tiger has a slow speed and a slow turret, the only task it is really good at is blowing up buildings. The Panther on the other hand is faster in all respects, and has a better gun.

I have found that the Tiger can stand up to infantry attacks fairly well, and it is effective against AT guns. Also, it is not so susceptible to flanking attacks by Allied cars and light tanks.

Manx, you need some marketing help. What the hell does "CM-UTDB: Tiger" mean?

The only reason I opened this thread was "Tiger" because the title was otherwise incomprehensible to me. Even then, I don't open every Tiger thread I see. I know from your previous thread what you are doing, but many may not.

How about a thread title like "Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly about using the Tiger" or some such challenge that tells people what you want?

Your effort is noble, but you need to let folks know more clearly what you want.

Having said all that, I know nothing about the Tiger. Sorry.

Lawyer,

Short for Unit Tactics/observations Data Base, I believe. (correct me if I'm wrong, Manx).

Something he's cooking up at his site: http://www.combatmissions.co.uk

to detail individual units and their strengths/weaknesses, and methods of employment.

I think the title may have been aimed at those of us who have been following it's progress.

Clubfoot.

I like tiger because it is a famous cat, that terrified the allies, but this don t happen in cm too often. My tiger have been knoked out by stuarts too many times, for to make it a nice choose. The only way to use this baby i far and away. Too slow, to move and turret to slow to be intrepid.

Manx,

I lost a Tiger once, when it was going down a hill. The top of it's turret was penetrated by a great shot from a British Challenger tank.

Also, a single Jumbo Sherman tank that I had took out two Tigers in one turn when they were buttoned up & (fortunately) busy with infantry. Yeah, they don't seem to be the feared monsters that I thought they were. It was from this game that I chose Jumbo as a Username.

Another time, I had great success against allied infantry with one when I used it with lots of infantry to look out for it.

Jumbo

Manx

Been trying to remember your ID to thank you. Love your site with the (so far) two units. Great layout/graphics BTW. As soon as I learn any tactics with the various units, I'll be glad to post to your site. smile.gif In the meantime, please keep up the effort. As a beginner I can really use that kind of info.

Hmm...the tiger....lets see...

Well, I like them ok. From a purely QB stance, they're pretty inexpensive. Thick armor (no so thick as I thought at first though). Powerful gun.

As for the negatives: I find them too slow. WAY WAY WAY too indecisive on what to target (even elites). Turret traverse is a joke. I hate using them in confined situations. And I find more often then not, the TacAI always seems to knock them out with front turret shot, or some other weak spot. I find there not very good at "infantry munching"

If they spook the enemy, I've never seen it. Seen a zook engage one at a laughable (and suicidal) distance the other day.

I hoped I helped...I didn't really reply with very many tactical uses.

Guest Seimerst

First-- thanks for a really great web site.

My thoughts/experiences with the Tiger are summed up:

Keep your infantry on its flanks for security and in defensive situations, position it so it has a relatively narrow firing arc (say no more than 45 degrees.) that will minimize the disadvantage of it's slow turret traverse.

In general, keep it as far back as possible given the terrain so it can maximize the advantages of its armor and gun to the disadvantages of the allies-- I like to stay more than 800 meters away.

The horror stories (from the Axis point of view anyway) on Tigers being taken out by Stuarts, come from close-in engagements with flank/rear shots keeping one shot ahead of the slow turrent trying to track the more nimble Allied tanks.

Guest MantaRay

I find them too expensive to buy most of the time. The turrent speed is not really much of a problem if I do buy them, but I only buy them in pairs. I think the speed is not really an issue, but I would buy them more if we could see the map before purchase, and if the map was at longer ranges (2000m).

Not a bad tank, but not as good as the Panther. 2 Stugs are a better choice too.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

Great work Manx !!

The Tiger...

I would say three things. First off all I must agree with Guy w/gun: "too indecisive on what to target" and that is a problem when you have a slow turret. The other thing is always try to keep them in pairs. Last but not least one must realise that this kitten was an old lady in 1944/45. Be cautious when you use it and don't expect it to rule the battlefield. When used the right way this kitten can indeed growl.

At the moment, the PzVI is my tank of choice: Good armor, excellent gun (does it all --- anti-armor/infantry/building), decent price.

Park it in the back-field on a commanding rise, and you will rule the battlefield. I've had Tigers sit through 4:1 attacks by M10's and shrug off those 76mm AP rounds like fleas. But that's the key: Stay in the rear, with plenty of infantry between it and those Allied fast-movers, and you won't have to worry about that extra-slow turret traverse.

Manx,

Ahh, the "1 wood" of the German armored force.

I'll have to throw my hat in with Von Lucke, keep that Tiger as far removed from Allied armor and cruchies as possible and plink away. As you remove yourself further and further from the enemy, slow turret rotation becomes less of a factor (less arc needed to cover the entire engagement area).

A pair functions even better. If you can keep them seperated laterally by several hundred meters, you can use pauses and have them alternately roll out of cover, take a shot, and roll back in. One of my friend's calls this the "whack-a-mole" tactic referrring to that silly old arcade favorite.

Clubfoot.

[This message has been edited by Clubfoot (edited 01-04-2001).]