Running CM on OS X

OS X is 10 days away and I plan on upgrading. I know that CM will run on X under classic, but is there any chance of seeing CM carbonized? I would love it to be that way, mainly becouse I would much rather run it right from X not classic 9.1.

Wishful thinking here I know, and I know the BTS team is hard at work on CM2.

[This message has been edited by Freak (edited 03-13-2001).]

I can't speak in any official capacity for BTS...

I'm pretty sure that CMBO will not be updated to be compatible with OS X in its native mode. I'm not familiar with the levels of "carbonization", but I'm pretty sure that CM2 will still require RAVE, which may force it to be used in the "Classic" mode. If RAVE-oriented code can be run in OS X native mode then CM2 will possibly be mildly carbonized.

When work on the engine-redesign commences (CMII) I'm pretty sure that there will be all sorts of efforts to make it fully Carbonized.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 03-13-2001).]

Personally, I hold a wait-n-see attitude towards OS X cuase the initial version lacks some nice features such as DVD support. I am waiting for subsequent incranations. Sure the micro kernel and unix-like architecture is very attractive -- call me a techno-geek. smile.gif

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Come to my Combat Missing Command Post (CMCP) at http://www.angelfire.com/games3/CMCP/

Guest Michael emrys

Originally posted by GriffinCheng+:

...call me a techno-geek.

Okay. You are a techno-geek. There.

(I can't see how that helps, but I do try to get along.)

Michael

Very true. OS X will lack simple OS features (todays standard) like DVD playback. But I am so tired of OS 9's file navigation system (its like a big pot of pourage) I am making the switch. I can live without DVD playback initialy for a while. No big deal to me. I never really watch DVD on the computer anyway. But like you GriffinCheng+ I am very excited about this unix/mac os. Long live NeXT!

[This message has been edited by Freak (edited 03-13-2001).]

I was just trying to be humorous frown.gif

The MacOS 9 Finder is okay to me -- I am not a person who is used to Windows File Manager/Windows Explorer. I use "My Computer" most of the time.

I think Steve Job is gambling here by creating an entire new engine under the hood.

I would like to see a native CM series on OS X too. But from the philosphy of Steve & Charles Co., they are not likely to jump immediately into a new bandwagon, they have to cater for most of the (potential) customers out there.

Griffin.

P.S. Should I uninstall LinuxPPC on my PB when OS X comes?

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Come to my Combat Missing Command Post (CMCP) at http://www.angelfire.com/games3/CMCP/

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng+ (edited 03-14-2001).]

Originally posted by Freak:

OS X is 10 days away and I plan on upgrading. I know that CM will run on X under classic, ...

Lets hope so. I was never able to get CM to work in the classic environment with the Public Beta. It required a reboot back into 9.0.4. Of course, that was an earlier version of CM as well. CM runs almost 24/7 on my machine now and as we count down the days for OS X, my fingers are crossed.

Guest Michael emrys

Originally posted by GriffinCheng+:

I was just trying to be humorous frown.gif

There, there, Chengy-poo. We'll take up a collection to send you to joke camp next summer so you can be humorous just like the rest of us. Feel better now?

biggrin.gif

Michael