"Crocodiles" - "Bow MG Blocked" ?

Guest Rollstoy

Guest Rollstoy

Using the Sherman Crocodile Tank for the first time it was not obvious for me where the flame thrower is located. To add to my confusion, I got the message

Hull Down (Bow MG blocked).

when I targeted a squad. Well, soon enough I figured out that the bow MG in fact was the flame thrower, but the message was slightly misleading. Maybe it can be improved.

Thanks and regards,

Thomm

Croco4bn.JPG

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Or do those tanks have a flamethrower AND a bow MG?

Nope, flamethrower only mounted in the bow. I remember seeing a post from Charles or Steve confirming that with a Crocodile, the message "Bow MG blocked" actually means the flamethrower can't fire at the intended target due to being hull down. His explanation for this was that in the rush to get the game released they didn't have time to change this fairly minor discrepancy.

Regards

Jim R.

It's a problem with the wasp too.

------------------

Craig

"Only a madman would consider the possibility of war between the two states (France and Germany), for which, from our point of view, there is no rational or moral ground." - Chancellor Adolf Hitler, Oct. 14, 1933

Guest Rollstoy

I did a search and it turned out that the Sherman Crocodile does not have a bow MG [Charles]:

The full version of CM includes the "Crocodile Sherman" with a nasty flamethrower replacing the bow MG...

beltringcroc6.jpg

Edited to remove seemingly obsolete parts.

[This message has been edited by Rollstoy (edited 02-06-2001).]

You guys Alberta boys, too?

Crown Surplus used to have a running Crocodile as well, but it was sold off - I think to a collector in the States. There is a website called The Churchill Registry or something like that - it lists all surviving Churchill tanks that are known.

The Museum of the Regiments is even better, IMO, than the Imperial War Museum or Army Museum in London, England. I used to work in the archives at the MOTR; it's too bad they can't display half the stuff they have in storage. For what they do have on display, though, it is well worth the visit.

IntelWeenie,

From what I remember of Andrew Wilson's FLAMETHROWER, at the very least the gas pressure to fire the flame jet came from nitrogen bottles in that armored trailer; quite possibly the fuel was there as well. Therefore, no trailer= no flamethrower capability.

The Crocodile proper still had a main gun, a coax MG, a full crew and all the ammo and miscellanea of a regular gun tank. There was no room for the considerable amount of equipment and stowage necessary to internally house the fuel and propellant to run the flamethrower. Thought I'd point this out.

Cheers!

John Kettler