Gamey tactic? - your opinions please

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With CM maps defenders are usually pretty screwed (generalization, some maps are defender friendly, with snow and rain more maps become friendly) , what I will do is set up the most effective defense possible according to the terrain (NOT the flags), and If I get flanked or threatened to be enveloped I run off the map. Protect and preserve your force to fight another day. This works particularly well in operations. Sometimes people fight just for the sake of fighting, but fighting your force down to nothing in one 30-45 minute battle is something I would call ahistorical.

my .02

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Banshee:

what I will do is set up the most effective defense possible according to the terrain (NOT the flags), and If I get flanked or threatened to be enveloped I run off the map. Protect and preserve your force to fight another day. This works particularly well in operations. Sometimes people fight just for the sake of fighting, but fighting your force down to nothing in one 30-45 minute battle is something I would call ahistorical.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, but the fact that you are on a

QB map playing 'defend' could be taken

as meaning that you have received orders

to hold out for 30 (or however many it

is) turns and not fall back. Maybe the

cavalry is on its way or something.

That said, I agree it is a shame that

the maps are too shallow to allow much

in the way of shoot 'n scoot, ambush

and fall back tactics in QB's.

--Rett

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CMplayer:

Okay, but the fact that you are on a

QB map playing 'defend' could be taken

as meaning that you have received orders

to hold out for 30 (or however many it

is) turns and not fall back. Maybe the

cavalry is on its way or something.

That said, I agree it is a shame that

the maps are too shallow to allow much

in the way of shoot 'n scoot, ambush

and fall back tactics in QB's.

--Rett<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lets say I was given orders to hold at all cost (for EVERY battle?! ok fine even with that assumption), there is an (usually) easily defined moment in most of my battles where it enters the point of negative returns for fighting, that is the point that I leave.A lot of times I can damage the enemy forces enough and then get off the battle field where the end total would be a draw even considering I dont hold any VL's. QB's are unrealistic because it is just random terrain, but Germans formed their lines on very defined defensive terrain, Normandy Hedgerows, Huertgen forest, Siegfried line, Rhine River, etc.. favorable defensive terrain. The average QB consists of relatively to very open terrain which in WW2 I would equate with the terrain the allies hit after the Cobra breakout but before we got to the Siegfried lines. Very favorable terrain for the attacker.

I know that point of greater negative returns very well. But I usually go down in true samurai style. This is just a video game, and I'm not killing real people, if I was I would run for the hills when the **** hits the fan.

I will always try to inflict some more casualties if I can. Remember lack of weapons is no excuse for defeat!!!!

I remember a indoor paintball game me and my friends were playing one day. I ran out of ammo half way through the fight but I continued to shoot air to make the enemy think we were still fighting strong.

Anyways I saw my friend on the other team across the field, I worked my way around to him without him seeing me. I rushed his position, got behind him and shoved my gun in his kidneys and said "Surrender or Die", needless to say he surrendered. I was shot right after he left the field. But I still took another man with me. smile.gif

Sometimes I will use my infantry that are out of ammo and have them fix bayonets and charge, just to rack up a few more kills.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Johnson-<THC>-:

I agree, its going to be ahistorical as long as we are playing a game and not killing real people.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree, if you place value in the lives of your little men pixels over your little flag pixels I think the game becomes much more realistic. I just dont think many people do.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Banshee:

I disagree, if you place value in the lives of your little men pixels over your little flag pixels I think the game becomes much more realistic. I just dont think many people do.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do.

Another option is to withdraw as much from the board as you can get, especially in a ladder game.

But when defending I always anticipate being attacked from teh flanks - that's where my minefields and AT guns are usually set up to civer, and/or the defences in the centre are arranged in depth to be able to cope with a flanking movement.

Mind you the defender is usualy toast anyway in this game!

This is getting the thread a little off topic, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes to pull forces off the board when things really hit the fan.

As the defender, I find it a nice challenge to try and get as many of my guys to survive if my lines have been broken, instead of just slaughtering them.

If as the attacker, I find I've been blunted, I usually offer a ceasefire.

I guess I just don't find the 'to the last man' type of games particularly fun...