+++++++hello and and question++++++++

Actually, Jinxx, I think Mattias probably gave you the best explanation thus far, but I'm not sure that you fully comprehended the implications of what he was trying to express. The problem with building a "core" CM engine is that the core is somewhat unique for each theater. From what I've read over the past year, the CM engine will model the AI differently for the Soviets than it does for the other allies, and different than it does for the Germans. Similarly, the AI would have to behave even differently for the Japanese, etc, etc, etc.

It doesn't sound like it's simply a matter of building a core module, and then adding the "Soviet" module on top of that, since it's all intricately embedded in the core module to begin with. Right now, it sounds as though BTS is merely modifying the current code to model the change in tactics for the Eastern Front (I could be wrong in this conclusion, however). Perhaps a total rewrite of the code could solve many of these problems (eg CMII), but I know that I speak for many when I say that I'd prefer that they simply work on CM2 as they currently are so that we can get it that much sooner! All in all, I do like your idea, but it just seems impractical at the moment. Keep the good ideas flowing, however, and welcome to the forum. smile.gif

[ 04-10-2001: Message edited by: Mannheim Tanker ]

thanks, =)

I know that my ideas may not be practical at all. but i get to be a fan on this forum so I don't need to consider that =)

If anyone could pull off the "complete ASL" system I know these guys could. I'm sure its not practical for CMII to be the start of that as Im sure they would have to make a more modular system from the start.

I'm only suggestion now that I know more of how things work, that it maybe should be considered for CM3+ as I think the mainstream support will only work for post DDay Westfront and the Eastfront anything beyond that youll only some of the people interested.

josh

There is a difference between CM2 and CMII. IIRC CMII is the recoded game engine; perhaps it will be modular enough to accomodate your suggestions above. I can't remember if it was going to be implemented in CM2 or CM3, however (I recall reading that it was CM3, but I'm too lazy to do a search on it!).

Welcome Jinxx...

Glad to see you made your way to the game that took me away from SFC. smile.gif

Don't mind the occasional flames. My theory is that people sometimes think that if they practice thier flaming skills here on the board, they will learn how to handle thier flamethrower troops in game.

Once again. Good to see an old familiar face from the long nights playing SFC on Mplayer.

Wow,

You must of touched on a nerve with your suggestions for CMBO. This board is lucky to have gotten a suggestion from someone who makes games and not just plays them. Remember guys this is just a game, and we play for fun. smile.gif

Rommel! A fellow DoD player... great to see you :D. I have been a CS junkie up until a week or so ago, when I installed DoD. Since then I've only played CS once or twice. DoD is great and I can't wait to play their 1.2 version.

Not to hijack your thread Jinxx - I think your idea has merit, but given that in the time it would take to release several more versions of CM, several iterations of hardware and software will have occurred, meaning that CM will be very-out-of-date in terms of graphics, modeling, etc., it's not very practical. Additionally, as someone said, subsequent versions will add different and new command options, etc...

Welcome to the club, by the way... sorry your initial welcoming was a bit on the rude side.

This thread has got me thinking...

The best "module" solution possible for a game of CM style ('cause it won't be CM) would be to have;

- One module for map/terrain/scenarios/operations and OpAI (The "global parametres" module).

- One module for each nation involved, including all units and a specific TacAI.

Then to play the game you'd need the base module plus at least two nationality modules...

But as I noted before: This is not Combat Mission! (Well, perhaps CM V, the 5th generation game engine, will look something like this in a couple of decades... Who knows?)

Cheers

Olle

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jinxx:

Hello,

I'm a designer for Taldren, we made SFC2.

*** insert extended commercial for SFC2 here ***

... and this is why SFC2 was such a great game, so why didn't Steve and Charles copy our superior design?

Just a thought, anyone like to comment?

Josh<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And you wonder why Brummbar lit you up?

Ever hear the old one about "if I had some bread I could make a ham sandwich --- if I had some ham"? The game you describe is not, and most likely will not be, CM. Maybe with the new CMII engine, some years from now --- but who can say where Steve and Charles are going with this franchise of theirs.

If you want to have ahistorical gang-bangs between the Yugoslav Army, Philippine Scouts, and Polish tankettes, I suggest you try Steel Panthers - World at War. SP,W@W is easily configurable for this sort of shake-n-bake "what-if" battle.

Early on somebody asked whether the Allies would be able to fight the Allies, or the Germans against the Germans in CMBO, and Steve's answer was something along the lines of, "No, we want to keep CM historical". As there where no British, American, Canadian, or French expeditionary forces on the East Front what would be the point of taking the extra time to re-code all those units into CM2? And they would have to re-code them --- it won't be just a matter of dumping the CM1 graphix into the CM2 engine and letting it "do it's thing".

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Old forces could be played with new engine/bug fixes. Allowing the team to not worry about correcting small bugs in CM1 as they know they will fix it in the next version<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spoken like a true corporate employee. So yr saying that BTS should kick buggy software out the door unfinished, because they "know" that the loyal consumer base they've cultured over the last year (by doing the exact opposite I might add) would be willing to wait around for the "next version" to be developed and released? Didn't you learn anything working on SFC and SFC2?

PS: For the record, I agree with Brummbar --- in case you can't tell already.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Von Lucke

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Jinxx:

Hello,

I'm a designer for Taldren, we made SFC2.

*** insert extended commercial for SFC2 here ***

... and this is why SFC2 was such a great game, so why didn't Steve and Charles copy our superior design?

Just a thought, anyone like to comment?

Josh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And you wonder why Brummbar lit you up?

Ever hear the old one about "if I had some bread I could make a ham sandwich --- if I had some ham"? The game you describe is not, and most likely will not be, CM. Maybe with the new CMII engine, some years from now --- but who can say where Steve and Charles are going with this franchise of theirs.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's not start putting words into his mouth now. He never called SFC/SFC2 a superior design. He just wanted to know why BTS is going the direction that they are simulating the different fronts exclusively, rather than releasing the new fronts as add-ons, so you can stage "what-if" secenarios. So let's no start making things up.

Personally, I think that the module system works better for SFC precisly because it's a fictional setting vs. a historical one. Sure, there is a "historical" background for the SFB universe to play out, but at it's core, it's always been an open system for anyone to fly any race against any other. Can my G-CCH beat your H-TAR, and so on.

Cm, since it's based on real life events, lends itself much more to sticking "to the script". While I personally would love to be able to quick-battle an american force vs. a soviet one, I can live with BTS sticking to only the relevant East Front forces. It's purely a design philosophy on thier part, rather than any programing ones. IMHO.

Mikey

Guest ckoharik

Here is my $1.25. While I would love to have a core game with add-ons for each of the different theater I am more than willing to support BTS buy purchasing more of their excellent software. Never have I seen a company listen to and support their customers as I have with them.

P.S.-Never played SFC2 simply due to the fact that I never got my beta code and never hearing back from the staff thus pissing me off.