Are we the geek elite ?

I was reading an article talking about how many chats areas have what this person called the geek elite .These people are experts on topics that most people don't care that much about like Star Trek or history .These people also feel superior to the general public because they know these obscure facts .So do you feel smarter than the average guy because you know what range a Tiger tank can take out a Sherman .

This term could reasonably be applied to just about anybody who is an expert in one field that is not commonly-known.

For example, my brother-in-law works for a company making DSL modem chips; he does layout which, as far as I can deduce, consists of taking the mathematical formulae from the theorists and converting it into something a machine can build.

A couple of my coworkers have an almost encyclopedic knowledge of music of the last 4 decades.

I happen to know just enough about everything to totally piss off anbody who tries to talk about anything.

DjB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hannibal:

So do you feel smarter than the average guy because you know what range a Tiger tank can take out a Sherman .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Infinity? :D

Actually, I feel like geek elite right now, because I know how to type an infinity sign (option-5 on a Mac) and this BBS doesnt. ;)

Hannibal, you are not geek elite, you are merely a conscript geek. Green at best. smile.gif

(just kidding)

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: 109 Gustav ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

Hannibal, you are not geek elite, you are merely a conscript geek.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. After you've been run through the obstacle course a few hundred more times, you may be considered a Regular Geek (if you get your times down, that is). If you make regular progress in the more advanced training courses, you may rate as a Veteran Geek, and so on. Once you are able catch bullets in your bare teeth and spit them back with deadly force, you may join the Proud, the Few, the Intensly Troubled...the Geek Elite!

Michael

If you think you're a loser, then you're a loser.

It's all part of attitude; if someone has an interest or a passion in a subject, there is nothing wrong with that...provided that person behaves in certain "normal" ways.

As an aside, do you really trust anyone who ISN'T passionate about something - one thing - be it history, their children, classic cars, salt and pepper shakers, whatever? People with no interests but sitting on the couch drinking beer and watching TV are really quite sad.

That said, if said person uses his knowledge to help others learn about the subject, there is nothing "geeky" or wrong about that, either. If said person goes to message boards and anonymously posts about how smart he is and honestly believes he is better than anyone else who does not have his knowledge of that particular interest, then that goes beyond "loser" or "geek", sorry to say.

If anyone wants to apply the term to themselves and wallow around in self pity, go for it.

Well I don't think geek and loser are the same thing .I was the captain of my highschool football team but was a si fi and history buff .Plus now adays girls seem to like a lot of stuff that was once geeky .Plus remember in the revenge of the nerds movies the nerd get the girls and the money .Just look at Bill Gates now that is one rich happy geek .

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hannibal:

Well I knew I was leaving my self open for the Al Bundy comments weh mentioned the football stuff ? smile.gif Although don't think that I peaked in highschool . Then again highscool was a lot of fun lol<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, didn't mean you - sorry if you took offence. But you know the type; the pretty boy or star athlete or whomever who looked down on everyone then - but never seemed to accomplish anything after age 18?