I'll never badmouth AT guns again

SPOILER WARNING

For "South of Sword"

South of Sword, Obg. Shultz's 50mm AT gun is facing the oncoming might of the British 27th Armored Brigage - and under the control of his company commander, he exacts a terrible price:

pak50small.jpg

He got all those kills in just four turns, at ranges of 750-800m, and was never spotted by the enemy. Here's the turn sequence:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> Takes out a halftrack and a Daimler AC. I'm already thinking that I've got my money's worth out of him - I expect him to die a horrible death next turn, but at least he's stopped the scouts, leaving my PzIVs to take on the tanks.<LI> His mad minute begins. At 6s, a side kill on a Sherman. At 12s, a Stuart burns. At 18s, he misses a Sherman, switches targets, and brews up another Sherman. At 33s, he takes out a Sexton from the front. He then misses a Stuart three times, eventually hitting for a penetration but no kill at the 58s mark. He's fired nine times in 60 seconds, getting four kills.<LI> The Stuart continues to live a charmed life: three more misses and another penetration before a final catastrophic KO. Then, just to prove that he still has his old magic, Shultz gets a first round kill on a Wolverine crossing his sights at high speed, and picks off a carrier for good measure.<LI> Now he's getting cocky. Another first round kill on a Wolverine, a hapless halftrack meets its maker, and then a Churchill Crocodile lumbers into view. Since there's nothing left moving on the battlefield, Shultz starts pinging rounds off its armor. At the end of the turn I tell him to hide till the end of the battle, so that he can survive to collect his Iron Cross 1st Class...

Never underestimate the power of an AT gun in good cover!

[This message has been edited by FriendlyFire (edited 04-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by FriendlyFire (edited 04-03-2001).]

Yup, against the AI - I'd given it +25% forces and +1 experience. I figure a human would have worked out the gun's likely location after the first turn, and either mortared it into oblivion, smoked the line of fire, or tried a different route smile.gif

Still, for a regular crew that was one bad-ass little AT gun. Watching it in action in that mad minute was a blast.

Originally posted by M. Bates:

Friendly Fire I wouldn't bother with spoiler warnings if I were you, they are more annoying than anything else.

There are many players here are now that are new to the game and still have not payed all the scenarios and might like to play that one Double blind.

It seems to me like a simple enough courtesy to post a spoiler alert, (especially for an interesting canned scenario like that one) and I for one do appreciate the FF has bumped his image down one page.

Thanks FF

-tom w