CM2: A suggestion for Different Shaped Bases

I have followed this forum fairly regularly (like daily ) since the CMBO Beta Demo, so I would like to make a small suggestion that I don't think I have seen or read about here yet.

It may not even be a good suggestion, BUT here goes:

I would like to suggest the that when unit bases are turned on as they can be now, (If we can still do that in CM2) that those little squares be coded to be different shapes and SIZES to represent different classes of units.(OR even better, can you code the bases for different classes of units to be user modifiable so we can make our OWN colour coded bases.)

Here's the thing, we know that there are several different sizes of coloured squares that represent units, BUT the smallest square could be a Platoon Leader, and Company HQ, A Mortar or a HMG or a Flame Thrower. I would like to suggest the perhaps different shapes be coded to represent different units that the same size square now represents.

Now before anyone jumps all over me for this one YES, this issue is ONLY a problem when looking at the battle field from view 7 or 8 (way high up). BUT I find the Best way to determine where the enemy units are and what is happening at the moment of first contact is to watch the movie for the first time from view 8 and then zoom in later and replay the movie.

As it is now there are different sizes of the sqaures bases, a Platoon HQ and a infantry squad and a tank, all have different SIZES of bases that are easily distingusihable from view 8.

Would it be possible to code, say circles and ovals and rectangles and triangle bases, (all roughly the same size, just with a different SHAPES) to represent little fiddly units like jeeps and kubel wagons and Platoon HQ's and Mortors and Flame throwers and HMG units ?

Has anyone seen or heard this suggestion before?

I suppose the first thing some might say s DON'T look from view 8 and/or this is NOT really an aspect of the interface the needs attention because if you look at the battlefield from view 3,4, or even over head 5 you can easily see what's what and who is where, BUT from view 8 I would like to see different SHAPES to represent different classes of units. I'm happy with all tanks being on uniform sized bigger square, but maybe SP arty could be a big rectangle or oval or something else.

Just my one small suggestion for CM2 ....

(I don't think this one has been mentioned before, but it has I have never seen it discussed or any feedback from BTS on it)

Thanks

-tom w

(yes this is a re-post in its own Thread now because this suggestion got burried quickly in the IS-3 debate in the CM2 bunch of answers thread.)

[ 06-11-2001: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

There was a post a month or two ago regarding unit bases that I thought was very clever. In that message, it was suggested that it should be possible to modify, during a game, the colors of the unit bases for each unit type or platoon. For example, it would be nice to be able to make all Forward Observers one color, all armored vehicles another color, all bazooka teams another color...

It would also be nice to be able to assign a base color to all the units of a particular platoon.

I believe this would facilitate the organizing of units and enhance/speed up game play. At it is now, it can take time to find your FOs, bazooka teams...

I'm with you guys on this. Whether it be colors, shapes or any other quickly distinguishing characteristics, it would help with management of all forces on the field. This is especially the case in larger scenarios and with varying terrain, buildings and so on. It might also be nice to have a pop-up window "Unit Base Legend" similar to "Hotkeys", which would quickly illustrate the match of unit bases to their assigned units. No matter how it's done, anything would be an improvement over the current "one size fits all" bases. Overall, this is an excellent game! :D

Great suggestion. In a scenario with lots of units in a small area, it sometimes takes time just to sort out which squad belongs to which platoon. Especially if another plt HQ has taken command of squad.

I really like the idea of being able to color-code unit-bases individually, or as a group, in each scenario.

Yes it might come handy for larger battles.

I think the best solution would be to NOT hard-code these, but to allow modding of bases, so it is not just a colored shape but for example for americans it is white star, for germans - Wehrmacht's cross and so on.

I definately like the customizable base color idea. I also like to idea of a legend or an order of battle/index of units that would have unit stats./condition and a hyperlink directly to the unit on the battle field. Not unlike what was in SteelPanthers.

Nice ideas aka_tom_w.

My concern regarding bases are their colors. With CMBO, The American bases stand out as almost day-glo green (and easily spotted) while the rest are earthtone in color which helps them to be harder to spot. I know they're (unfortunately) hard coded in CMBO.

Hopefully in CM2 they'll be changed to either all bright colors or all earthtones. OR maybe they will not be hard coded at all and we will be allowed to mod them. My fingers are crossed. smile.gif