H-39 Hotchkiss....what's up with them?

Bog

Howdy. Just played A Walk in Paris as the Germans today, and I saw the H-39 you get and wondered.

The thing has only 2 crew members, so who were they? I'm guessing TC and driver. But who did what? Did the TC load, aim, and fire the weaponry? Is that why it has slow ROF?

They actually ain't bad little buggers, I took out 2 Shermies from the ambush position you start in.

They're not bad, unless one of the crewmen gets killed. Then the other one usually remembers that he left the toaster plugged in and gets outta the tank. They're not bad, but their turret speed is so slow that you can't flank enemy tanks very easily. And they aren't very fast for a light tank.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

They suck.

The fact you had that tin can in an ambush position accounts for the kills.

Yes, the TC was a jack of all trades. A sniper will disable it (by taking out the TC because you can't drive, load, aim and fire at the same time and that's the reason for the slow RoF). They're slow movers and a 50 cal will tear them up.

Other than that, they're great.

You got lucky taking out anything bigger than an unarmed Jeep.

------------------

"Moriarty, you suck." -- Dunno, but somebody must've said it somewhere along the line

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 01-28-2001).]

The Paris scenario is one of two battles in which I've played with H-39s, in fact.

The other battle was some ASL scenario that was converted, in which I got 4 of them. They proved to be satisfactory in shelling the Ami paras, who had few zooks.

Oh yeah, why are they called H-39s? Is it because they were built then?

Yep.

TCs usually get wounded or dead when he is sitting out of the turret, which gives him much more visibility than when the tank is buttoned. If the Allies get in the first shot or two and take him out, the tank essentially is out of action.

Dunno how it came to be designated the H-39. I think it was around before 1939, but I could be mistaken on that. I know it was a French tank, not a German design.

------------------

"Moriarty, you suck." -- Dunno, but somebody must've said it somewhere along the line

Originally posted by Bog:

Slapdragon...I can see your point about the H-39 being able to trounce the Pz I, but the Pz II could penetrate it with it's 20mm main gun, right?

Sure, close by it can, and the PZ2 had 4 crew. But the 47mm when it came out was a killer. The H.39 was not a bad tank for what it was, at a time when the Czech 38T and the British Medium were the monsters of tank warfare, and before the various Franch heavies were really in service.

Actually, I may be thinking about the Somua here also.

[This message has been edited by Slapdragon (edited 01-28-2001).]

Guest J Pender

Ahhh,

Pzkw I, Pzkw II, Pzkw III, PzkwIV, H39, Somoa, Char B1, Tanketts, Matildas, Crusaders, BT5, BT7, 20mm, 37mm, 47mm, short 75s, motorcycle troops, ATR's.

Man I miss playing Squad Leader.

Cant wait for CM3?

Take carer

John

Humm, it would be "Combat Mission 4: The Early Years". CM3 is about the Mediterrian and Italy campaigns and it would be "Combat Mission 3: Hot and Spicy Dessert".

Oops, it should be "Combat Mission 3: Hot and Spicy Desert". Or you may like as well "Combat Mission 3: The Passion Desert". Yes, there is a Chinese oldies called "The Passion Desert".

Griffin.

Originally posted by J Pender:

Cant wait for CM3?

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng+ (edited 01-29-2001).]

You can still find these oldies with "Steel Panthers WAW" by great guys Matrix Games.

Originally posted by J Pender:

Man I miss playing Squad Leader.

------------------

"Can't get enough Tank?"

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng+ (edited 01-29-2001).]

Well seeing as I am the only Frog around I might as well chirp in...

Here you are:

Original Designation: Hotchkiss H-39

Original Role: light tank

German Designation: Panzerkampfwagen 39H 735(f)

Conversions/Role/Use:reconnaissance/command/internal policing duties/incorporated into Panzer Divisions

H-39 tanks were converted to various roles such as:

Munitions-Schlepper 39H

Marder I (Sd.Kfz.135) - 75mm Pak 40 L/48 gun carrier

280/320mm rocket projector launcher/carrier

10.5cm leFH18(Sf) auf Geschutzwagen 39H(f) - 105mm howitzer carrier

Used in armoured trains

h35.jpg

------------------

You are not Obsessive-CMpulsive, you are Allied-Retentive.

Mark IV

Originally posted by Slapdragon:

No, the Polish army had the TK series of tankettes, and were ready to produce a modern tank in the next year.

l

And the 7TP: (Really, it was a British tank, with a Swiss engine, and a Swedish gun). 37mm Bofors gun and a crew of 3 put it in a league with the Pz MKII. It was such a good design IIRC, the Swedish government bought the manufacturing rights in exchange for liscencing the Bofors.

Oh, and H39 stands for Hotchkiss (the manufacturer) and 1939 (the year it was adopted by the French Army).

Since I made too much jokes around this thread, let me add some more:

According to HPS "Encyclopedia of Land Combat Vol.1"

H-39 was an improved version of H-38 with armor thickness up to 45mm and the longer SA18 (L/33) 37mm gun. 270 tanks were in used in 1940. This tanks was also used by Israeli army in 1945, which a few were upgraded to British 6-pounders. In 1942, the 7.5 cm PaK40(Sf) auf Geschutzwagen 39H(f) appeared with high powered 75mm PaK 40 L/46 gun (?) This tank destroyer weighted 12.5 tons and had fair armor protection. 24 tank destoryers and 48 SPA were produced by Germans , all of which served in France until the last of them were destroyed in 1944.

According to the new edition of EGTWW2, it should be a 75mm L/46 gun.

Griffin.

------------------

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Originally posted by GriffinCheng+:

Since I made too much jokes around this thread, let me add some more:

According to HPS "Encyclopedia of Land Combat Vol.1"

H-39 was an improved version of H-38 with armor thickness up to 45mm and the longer SA18 (L/33) 37mm gun. 270 tanks were in used in 1940. This tanks was also used by Israeli army in 1945, which a few were upgraded to British 6-pounders. In 1942, the 7.5 cm PaK40(Sf) auf Geschutzwagen 39H(f) appeared with high powered 75mm PaK 40 L/46 gun (?) This tank destroyer weighted 12.5 tons and had fair armor protection. 24 tank destoryers and 48 SPA were produced by Germans , all of which served in France until the last of them were destroyed in 1944.

According to the new edition of EGTWW2, it should be a 75mm L/46 gun.

Griffin.

Hey Cheng, send me the turn. Just because you are getting mowed down like a Sherman at a Panther convention is no reason to back away.