Gamey Edge Huggers

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Thats why god made 81mm mortar spotters with smoke rounds <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-CMPlayer

Yes, however god also made the 75mm gun that would be 200m to the left of the current pillbox position and firing up its arse, negating the need for those 81mms.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -Havermeyer-:

There's been an awful outbreak of gamey edge huggers, lately.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't blame the players, blame the map designers! If the map is wide enough, then no-one will go to the edge. But it if is quite narrow and there is a good forrest, I'm sure that everyone will go there.

edge hugging is nearly impossible to avoid if youre trying to flank. if every game had both sides in a stale mate over a VL it would be the boringest piece of hell ive ever played.

why is edge hugging gamey? because of the fact the edges are there. if they were not, flanks would be even wider. hell, you could go across the friggin map, turn, then hit them directly from the rear.

if anything, edges are a good thing.

wow I just had a flash from the old bigtimesoftware. com board where the topic of 'having units on map edge face incoming direct fire from offmap unseen positions' was discussed and shot down. (trip out man)

Although I do believe this could be a neat feature, it seems to be more a scenario design issue than something to spend coding time on.

As stated above hugging the map runs the risk off being routed offboard. A fair trade off in my opinion. (I once had an mg turret on a reverse slope maul several advancing platoons, routing half offmap who were trying to edgewalk through a smokescreen) No complaints with it here.