Soviet tank names in CM2 - warning!

Don't know if this issue was already raised but...

judging from the few data we were able to obtain trough intervievs, screenshots, previews etc. it seems that the T-34 series of tank is going to be identified in CM2 with the 'inaccurate' German designation of

T-34/76A, T-34/76B etc.

First I would point out the the correct designations should be something like T-34-76 obrasets 1940g etc.

Since this could be too clumsy the most elegant solution is to do away with the 76 suffix and simply use names like T-34 mod.1940 etc. that are both easy to read and historically accurate.

If someone thinks that this is a trivial and secondary matter I wonder how he would react to know that German tanks are to be identified by Russian standards, who would ever buy a T-VI obr.E 'Tigr' :D?

Regards,

Amedeo

aaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!

I woke up screaming this morning,I had a terrible nightmare,my wife asked and I said ,oh the names of the T-34's are wrong! what A disaster!

She just looked at me as if I was the greatest moron she ever saw and said,get back to sleep :D

Amedeo,

While I take your point, the information that I have suggests that unlike the Germans, the Russians not only didn't bother much with model designators, but also frequently combined parts from several different models without changing the designator to reflect this. IOTW there is no native Russian system of detailed submodel nomenclature equivalent to the German system you find so disturbing.

Methinks you may just have to live with it.

When I'm more awake I'll try to find a pertinent quote to back up my statements here.

Regards,

John Kettler

John,

you're correct about the fact that Soviets during wartime never bothered to have a foolproof or comprehensive nomenclature system to identify their medium tanks. So for them the T-34 was just a T-34, IIRC even the designation T-34-85 was commonly used.

Nonetheless the nomenclature I mentioned is used by both Russian and Western scholars in their publications on Soviet armour (just think of Zaloga, for example) and although it's not perfect it's a better system than the German one, not only because it's from the ones that produced the things, but also because the German identification system is just this, an identification system to catalong something about which you have partial and imperfect information.

To better clarify my point: you all are familiar with the western system of identification of Soviet weapons used during the Cold War. After the collapse of the USSR, a lot of information about older Soviet weapons systems came out and it was found that there were weapons that were not classified by western analysts, or there were weapons that were evolutions of the same weapon system but received different NATO codes etc, etc. So every recent scholar work on the subject do use the original Soviet designation adding, where possible, the NATO and DOD designation for sake of clarity.

Regards,

Amedeo

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Amedeo:

<SNIP> ...designation of

T-34/76A, T-34/76B etc.

First I would point out the the correct designations should be something like T-34-76 obrasets 1940g etc. <SNIP> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe there could be a user mod for those that want the "russianized" version, or better yet if sales to the former Soviet Onion take off there could be a patch :D

For now though, I'd rather just have names that are common to my "westernized" knowledge base. I'd realy hate to have to take a class in the cyrillic (sp?) alphabet to enjoy the game. :eek:

Dirtweasel, I am disappointed that you wouldn't want to be properly immersed in the game. My goodness, if you want the TOTAL CMBB experience, you Have to have the Cyrillic character set not only for all your unit designations during the game, but also for the unit purchase tables, the game interface, the hotkeys list, and even the manual. I say unto you, the ONLY proper way to release CMBB is to do so in Russian using Cyrillic characters. ANYONE who doesn't want that obviously is just a cheesy gamey bastiche who should be off playing Axis and Allies or somefink!

I would like to point out that what I'm proposing is not a 'die hard grog' idea but is what practically ALL the most famous games already did. A few examples? SPWaW, East Front, Allied General, ASL etc. etc.

Amedeo