It's criminal we cannot film this game.

It's criminal that we cannot film each game played. Actually, we probably can, but it would take an external program, some sort of screen capture thingie. But, what I'd like is something where you can see both sides after the official ending of the game. And where...where someone who said "Cheater!" during the game would actually see the whole development of how such a unit got there in the first place. Oh, it would make the game SO MUCH BETTER for both sides involved. Thus, shifting the focus of the game from WINNING AT ALL COSTS!.. to creating a movie, a great story full of pathos, drama, heroism, and comedy...something that will make me cry and laugh for many months to come, perhaps years.

This is a dream that is shared by my best friend and me. He was the first to share this game with me, too. He thought and now we thought that we'd pass this dream along and into the forum. Really, wouldn't it be lovely to watch all of the animated plays proceed non-stop in a complete battle- sequenced movie, one that would lift the fog of war, and ultimately, reveal to both sides what was happening when the actual game was being played?

This is a dream that is shared by my best friend and me. He was the first to share this game with me, too. He thought and now we thought that we'd pass this dream along and into the forum.

WOW what a REVOLUTIONARY idea. It has NEVER been brought up before, actually, I think there ISN'T even a way that people ever did this before, so I think a SEARCH would NOT help, because, again, this idea of yours is so frickin' NEW!

Thanks a lot to you and your friend for sharing your flash of genius with us!

DOWN Hof, DOWN BOY! GET TO YOUR KENNEL!

Anyway, mimary, this sort of thing has been thought of and discussed and it is something BTS hope they can do in the future.

Meanwhile, follow the 'combat vision' link below in my sig file for some stuff myself and a friend did smile.gif

PeterNZ

------------------

- Official owner of the sig files of Dalem, Croda and JeffShandorf -

Der Kessel scenario design group

Combat Vision movies

Hofbauer, your reply is *just* what makes newcomers think they're unwelcome : you bite like a dog because Mimary happens to write an idea that has been discussed here to death ...when she was'nt here.

Her post is positive, what need do you have to bash her ? You could have said the same thing just politely, do you ?

i.e. If you're new here, always search earlier discussions first before starting a new thread. Almost every question has already been asked.

Like PeterNZer wrote, many others would like this feature as well - I sure would. It would be not only fun, but also very useful when designing scenarios. For example, it would help choosing good unit placements in scenarios that should be playable against the AI.

Mimary, check out any of the Myth games from www.bungie.com (recently absorbed by Microsoft). These games feature full replay capabilities which have spawned countless web pages devoted to the coolest replays etc...

One word of caution, before you use the words, SHARE, or DREAM in any post, no matter what it involves search it first.

Guys, this "search it first, ask later", is not only ridiculous, but it's obnoxious as hell.

We have a great community in this board, with great learning to be had. Let's not ruin it with this pompous attitude. Everything has been asked before? Give me a break!!

Every question deserves an answer, even if it's a courteous "You'll find your answer at X link" or "I'd recommend you do a search, where you'll find a detailed discussion".

Every question deserves to be posted, without fear of "gee, what if this was already asked by someone back in January? The horror!"

There was a thread yesterday on indirect fire for on board mortars. I found it interesting. I'm sure it has been discussed before. So sue me smile.gif

Hof, I'm ashamed at your reply to the post. Go do a search on good posting etiquette.

Murph

Murph:

I didn't mean "everything has been asked before" the obnoxious way. Afterall, I'm new here smile.gif

I meant it as "there's probably lots of answers to your question already. You may get answers faster by doing a couple of searches than by asking a question and waiting for replies"

Guest aaronb

Originally posted by Murph:

Every question deserves an answer, even if it's a courteous "You'll find your answer at X link" or "I'd recommend you do a search, where you'll find a detailed discussion".

Every question deserves and answer from whom? Volunteers to whose labour you have no claim? Basically, we owe each other one thing: civility. It's a two-way street, and most of the longer-term posters consider doing a search first to be the start of a civil discussion.

Why? Because it cuts down on the noise and so improves the signal/noise ratio - making the board vastly more readable.

As for netiquette, hanging around learning the norms of behaviour for an online community before becoming active is enshrined in netiquette documents - because it works.

So, while the annoyed-sounding 'do a search' posts are off-putting, so are the non-searching questions on basic, long-discussed topics. And the annoyance stems from the desire for a basic courtesy.

Actually, if you did a search, you would find the search topic to be well-discussed smile.gif

------------------

my armoured assets have about the half-life of a gnat in DDT

- Germanboy

Originally posted by aaronb:

Every question deserves and answer from whom? Volunteers to whose labour you have no claim? Basically, we owe each other one thing: civility. It's a two-way street, and most of the longer-term posters consider doing a search first to be the start of a civil discussion.

Why? Because it cuts down on the noise and so improves the signal/noise ratio - making the board vastly more readable.

As for netiquette, hanging around learning the norms of behaviour for an online community before becoming active is enshrined in netiquette documents - because it works.

So, while the annoyed-sounding 'do a search' posts are off-putting, so are the non-searching questions on basic, long-discussed topics. And the annoyance stems from the desire for a basic courtesy.

Actually, if you did a search, you would find the search topic to be well-discussed smile.gif

Right on!

"Every question deserves and answer from whom? Volunteers to whose labour you have no claim? Basically, we owe each other one thing: civility." !!

Perfect!

-tom w

Lawn mower for sale. Good condition. Original parts, blade recently sharpened. If interested call.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

Originally posted by Mannheim Tanker:

Speaking of civility, Tom: When in hell are we going to play that long-awaited TCP/IP game? wink.gif

Send me an email when you're ready - or are ya chicken?

(MT trying to change the subject...)

I am laughing smile.gif

I'm sure you meant that in good humour

and I'm not chicken.

I admit that I can find time to post to this board at work but sadly I have not been playing CM enough in the free time I don't have. OK OK

I am NOT chicken, How about TCP/IP Thur night or Friday night EST? (or next Tues night EST Mar 20?). I would prefer a canned scenario that we both agree we have never seen before? I think the last time we tried this dance I agreed to the Allies, I'm still ok with this.

Abbott if you are reading this MT and I have had this ongoing game on now for more than 6 months and not attended to it.

Lets see if we can agree on a good ballanced scneario with lots armour that can both enjoy for the first time?

Ok?

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 03-14-2001).]

Originally posted by SlowMotion:

Murph:

I didn't mean "everything has been asked before" the obnoxious way. Afterall, I'm new here smile.gif

I meant it as "there's probably lots of answers to your question already. You may get answers faster by doing a couple of searches than by asking a question and waiting for replies"

You'll get smart remarks faster than answers smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Mimary, this feature is on the "List". That'd be the list of features we would like to include.

We also think this would be a great feature, but whether it makes it into CM2 is yet to be determined.

Please feel free to ask questions and post ideas for CM in this forum. But doing a search first will minimize the amount of distinctly uncivil answers that you might oterwise get.

Quite a few topics have been covered in these 200.000 posts. Not using them would be kind of wasteful, eh? wink.gif

I'm closing this topic now. Not because your idea was bad or anything, but because all the main points have been made and all that remains are either flamewars or Peng-isms. wink.gif

Deputy Moderator